Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am reaching out in hopes of perhaps some sort of miracle fix. I have 8 year old bijon/mini poodle named Oliver.Since birth he has always had skin issues and chronic itching problems. We tried drugs such as atopica, apoquel, and cytopoint to no avail. In addition frequent baths with medicated anti fungal shampoos prescribed by his vet, as well as various different diets. At this point we are unable to keep his recurrences at bay. The vet is now saying there is nothing left to do and try and his immune system is so weak he cannot really fight anything off. Oliver is not showing any obvious signs of pain, however bc he has lived this way so long he always seems to have content manner. His skin always appears dry and flaky. The flakes are normally white like a dandruff but occasionally there can also be black specks. I have tried diluted apple cider vinegar suggestions previously knowing yeast does not like that. Again no measurable improvement. He has been tested for allergies and seen dermatologist, he is pretty much allergic to the environment as a whole with main allergens being dust and various pollens all which are hard to fully avoid. The vet thinks now may be the time to put him down :( I really am just reaching out hoping someone else may have had similar scenario and found some sort of solution that I can give a shot before going down a road I do not want to for my fur baby. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, my dog has been suffering with skin conditions and has tried most of the drugs you listed (I believe some are immune-suppressive). What helped my dogs and many dogs that I know, is raw diet, as well as fish oil or krill oil. My dogs are also on probiotics. I am shocked that the vet suggested that and I hope you would not even consider it, especially when Oliver still has a content manner. I would suggest watching videos of Karen Becker. Please give Oliver a hug for me!

·
Super Moderator
401 Posts
Sorry to hear your predicament. It's certainly not a cure but rubbing coconut oil into his skin may give him some relief?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've no experience of this, but have you done what you can to modify his environment? At the extreme, this would involve doing away with carpets and as many soft furnishings as possible, vacuuming daily with a cleaner with a HEPA filter, and wet-dusting daily. You'd also need to consider outside the house and minimise whatever allergens he comes into contact there.

At some point it does become a quality-of-life decision, and if you can't find anything that gives him relief, then you are the best person to judge how much he is affected in terms of his general wellbeing.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Our Poodle/Bischon mix, now eleven years old, has always had dry itchy skin. What seems to have helped, is an Omega 3 supplement daily, plus we feed her only fresh food, nothing processed. Though she will occasionally seem really itchy, its nothing like it used to be, and in general she is pretty comfortable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts