Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. So i have a mixed breed dog that is mixed with ridgeback and pug etc. she has had utis ever since ive gotten her 4 years ago. Ive taken her to the vet probably over 25 times now been prescribed antibiotics that seem to work for a little and then the infection comes right back. Also, we’ve had the vulva reduction surgery and blood work done(no causes found). Has anyone ever experienced this and what did you do ? ❤

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
Have the antibiotics been specifically for her UTIs or have they been general ones? If not specific, that might be a next step.

Also, some people use cranberry supplements, and encourage her to drink plenty fluids (adding some cooled water from boiled meat or veg to her normal water might help, no salt though).

·
Registered
112 Posts
When my golden mix female was having issues with recurring uti's as a young dog, after multiple rounds of antibiotics, and a ton of researching, I put her on a grain-free food with no chicken, and she never had another one the rest of the 13 yrs. of her life.

Perhaps consider a change in diet, perhaps a limited ingredient food with a protein source that is different from the one she has primarily been eating, and see if things improve?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone. So i have a mixed breed dog that is mixed with ridgeback and pug etc. she has had utis ever since ive gotten her 4 years ago. Ive taken her to the vet probably over 25 times now been prescribed antibiotics that seem to work for a little and then the infection comes right back. Also, we’ve had the vulva reduction surgery and blood work done(no causes found). Has anyone ever experienced this and what did you do ? ❤ View attachment 248957
Hi everyone. So i have a mixed breed dog that is mixed with ridgeback and pug etc. she has had utis ever since ive gotten her 4 years ago. Ive taken her to the vet probably over 25 times now been prescribed antibiotics that seem to work for a little and then the infection comes right back. Also, we’ve had the vulva reduction surgery and blood work done(no causes found). Has anyone ever experienced this and what did you do ? ❤ View attachment 248957
Hi - So sorry to hear about your dog. I'm new to the forum and your post caught my eye. Treating the UTI WITH antibiotics may be the problem. Antibiotics fight the infection for the body, making the body weaker in that area and much more susceptible to getting the same thing all over again, like you're experiencing. I can offer another suggestion which would be to try homeopathy, which is a safe, gentle, effective way to treat a lot of issues by triggering the body to heal itself. It has helped me, my human daughter and my dogs over the years so much. I'd be happy to talk with you about it more, if you're interested. Hate to see your pup suffer unnecessarily. Let me know if you'd like to email or speak. Good luck! Jody

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi - So sorry to hear about your dog. I'm new to the forum and your post caught my eye. Treating the UTI WITH antibiotics may be the problem. Antibiotics fight the infection for the body, making the body weaker in that area and much more susceptible to getting the same thing all over again, like you're experiencing. I can offer another suggestion which would be to try homeopathy, which is a safe, gentle, effective way to treat a lot of issues by triggering the body to heal itself. It has helped me, my human daughter and my dogs over the years so much. I'd be happy to talk with you about it more, if you're interested. Hate to see your pup suffer unnecessarily. Let me know if you'd like to email or speak. Good luck! Jody
Yes please ! I would love to hear about homeopathy

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think cranberry supplements would be the best bet. I had a couple of dogs when I was a kid, one developed a UTI, we added cranberry supplements to her daily diet, and she never had another UTI again. I would try this before you try drugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts