Dog Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Lil Man is a little over 2 1/2 yrs old. He is a Jack Russel Sheltie mix. We had rescued when he was about 4 months old. His previous owners were down right savage toward him. He was beaten by little kids and ran over by bicycles and left in a bathroom locked up for hours one end (like 8-10 hours) without food or water, so you can imagine his temperament. Lately over this past year he has started biting his hips and genitals to the point of bleeding. HIs under belly looks like a rash is going on. His hips are scabbed over and fur loss is starting to happen. Looking online to find answers... I keep seeing hyperthyroidism, or of course Allergies keeps popping up too. The symptoms don't match up for either one. I haven't taken him to the vet yet, it's my last resort. I know this chronic itching is causing him pain and misery and making him irritable beyond belief. He seems more aggressive now that this 'condition' has came around. What other things could this be?

P.S. I can't upload any photos with this computer it is way too old and I can not even access my facebook to show you his before picture.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know some people say its bad but he generally eats table scraps. He loves to eat vegetable. But we also feed him Come and Get 'Em from Purina and before that it was the Dollar General dog food. Most often though it is somewhat healty table scraps, Not to high in protein. I know that high protein foods can cause allergic reactions, or so I read.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I know some people say its bad but he generally eats table scraps. He loves to eat vegetable. But we also feed him Come and Get 'Em from Purina and before that it was the Dollar General dog food. Most often though it is somewhat healty table scraps, Not to high in protein. I know that high protein foods can cause allergic reactions, or so I read.
It would not be the table scraps unless you eat the same thing every day.:). It is the food. I cut this out of the ingredients list..added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2),Dogs have allergies to the dyes. Try a food with out any colors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sad thing is we've bought the Purina food just last month..... We bought ever pet since he was little and never gave him trouble. Im lloking to see if it had dyes though. I know the Purina does have dyes but this started before we bought that food.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Sad thing is we've bought the Purina food just last month..... We bought ever pet since he was little and never gave him trouble. Im lloking to see if it had dyes though. I know the Purina does have dyes but this started before we bought that food.
Do you give any dog treats?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No. It's all localized to his hips and under bell/genitals. His hip has brown fur and I noticed the biting doesn't go into his white fur on tip but his underbelly has white fur. But he doesn't like his feet nor ears.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hold on... that is way too many typos for me to let go. His hips are covered in brown fur and the biting does not go out into the white fur, yet his underbelly has no brown fur what-so-ever. The rash/pinkened/redened skin is on his underbelly/genitals. He does not lick his feet or scratch his ears. They are the least of his worries at any given point in time.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Your dog really needs to see a vet! Could be mange or any number of illnesses!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts