Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a basset hound, Alfred, (3 years old) and a Labrador mix, Lucy, (6 years old). For the past six months they have both had instances of re-occurring diarrhea/vomiting. In August both Alfred and Lucy had diarrhea, very badly. The vet chalked it up to a heat wave (which didn't make sense to me, but whatever) and prescribed a chicken/rice diet and gave them anti-diarrhea medicine. The runny-poo cleared up and things seemed to go back to normal.

Then in October, Alfred started vomiting and having diarrhea. I took him to vet and it seemed that they did every test under the sun, full blood panels, hormone level checks, test for pancreatitis, X-Ray, ultrasounds and all other sorts of things. They kept him over night and decided that he just ate something funny that upset his stomach. (Cue the chicken/rice diet and some ant-acids and anti-diarrhea medicine.)

Now they both have it again and I have had it with my vet not diagnosing them and simply treating the symptoms. I did some research of my own and learned about Giardia. We live on a farm with a pond in the back and there are coyotes that run around sometimes...why didn't my vet offer to run this test before? I'm so frustrated right now and was just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of awful experience with a vet/if there dog has giardia? I'm 99.9% sure this is what is causing their bowel issues (they currently eat grain free Blue Buffalo, I stopped giving them a homemade diet because I wasn't sure if that was what was causing the digestive upset) and I want them to feel better. I'm tired of cleaning up poo in the house and I just want them to feel better. They are also up to date on all of their shots. Is there anything else this could be?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
With a pond that has standing water I would suspect giardia. I would recommend healing clay on a daily basis to keep the intestines cleaned out. It is natural and there are no side effects. I use it to clean my teeth every day and have used it for a couple of years for stomach issues. People have been using it for years in kaopectate. This is just the clay no additives. You can use it internally and externally to kill bacteria.
Red Desert Clay The Most Efficient Premium Calcium Montmorillonite Clay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With a pond that has standing water I would suspect giardia. I would recommend healing clay on a daily basis to keep the intestines cleaned out. It is natural and there are no side effects. I use it to clean my teeth every day and have used it for a couple of years for stomach issues. People have been using it for years in kaopectate. This is just the clay no additives. You can use it internally and externally to kill bacteria.
Red Desert Clay The Most Efficient Premium Calcium Montmorillonite Clay
Healing clay? Where would I buy that and how much should I give them? Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I don't know how long you have been feeding your dogs Blue Buffalo, but on a poodle forum I am a member of, a member changed to BB thinking it was a step up from what she was feeding her dogs and all 5 became quite ill and the vet could not figure it out ! They didn't associate the diarrhea and vomiting to the BB until the owner stopped feeding it and went back to her old food. As that was the only difference, and they ALL got better in the next 48 hrs. BB paid all her vet bills as a result! Some dogs just can't tolerate it while others (mine included) do okay on it ...........so that is why I'm asking if their food has been changed when the diarrhea started? Are both of your dogs affected? Perhaps it's the BB..............

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Giardia was my first guess as well and odds are they get better intermittently because the "anti-diarrhea" meds you've been given are likely one of the meds used to treat Giardia. I also agree that the food may be the wrong choice for them but is have them tested for Giardia first. If its in your pond, it's going to be very difficult to keep them from reinfecting themselves constantly.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Healing clay? Where would I buy that and how much should I give them? Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
I get mine here
HealthForce Nutritionals, ZeoForce, Detoxification, 14 oz (400 g) - iHerb.com

Wet Food: Mix approx. 1/2 to 1 teaspoon into 16 oz of food
Drinking Water: Mix ½ teaspoon into drinking bowl, Use filtered water.

Also don't measure or stir with a metal spoon it can affect the clay, always use plastic. You can just sprinkle on the food and make sure there is plenty of fresh water available. If your dogs are on any medication DONT give the clay at the same time because it sees the meds as a toxin and will remove them. Give at least 2 hours after any meds,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the fecal tests came back negative for all parasites including Giardia. They've been on Blue Buffalo since September (and they had the one bout of diarrhea in August, clearly BB wasn't the issue there). I switched them from a homemade diet to BB after the August poo episode because I was worried I was giving them inadequate nutrients and that may have contributed. I feel so helpless right now, I don't know what to do.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
When were the last fecal tests and was a specific Giardia ELISA done?

The one bout in August east the food but if you're saying its been chronic since the food change, it's suspicious. I would personally put them on chicken and rice for the next week or two- no treats, nothing else. See if it helps.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
So the fecal tests came back negative for all parasites including Giardia. They've been on Blue Buffalo since September (and they had the one bout of diarrhea in August, clearly BB wasn't the issue there). I switched them from a homemade diet to BB after the August poo episode because I was worried I was giving them inadequate nutrients and that may have contributed. I feel so helpless right now, I don't know what to do.
did you switch meat when you went to dog kibble? I had very good luck with the Blue Bascis turkey but have since switched to Zignature because it has more protein. I have a dog with stomach issues and he has done very well on it. You might also try a little yogurt or kefir with the meals to help put the good bacteria back in the stomach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts