Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have a dilemma.

I want to get a dog soon. I have the summer to myself, and that would mean lots of time for a poochie to get to know me before work starts up in the fall.
I have "requirements" for a canine companion:
-Most likely will be residing with another dog and definitely a cat.
-I am an active person and the dog would get at least one loooong walk a day, probably more, but I'm by no means a marathon runner. I like to go on long hikes in the mountains.
- I would prefer a smaller dog at this point in my life. No Chis, but not Lab big either.
- Will probably be left for 5-8 hours a day come fall, which means it has to be okay with that, again will have at least one companion, and not chew up my furnature - I do realize this is mostly about training.

Alright I think I covered the basics.

Questions:
(just as an aside - I have done a ton of research, but I want the opinions of the DF community)
- What breeds should I consider?
- What are the pros and cons to breeders/shelters? Which (in your own opinion) is better?
- What age should I be considering?

Any other helpful hints are welcomed!

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
If the dog it going to get lots of exercise right off the bat (one long walk vs several 15 min ones) i definetly recommend getting an adult dog whos done growing. To much exercise can damage a puppy.

Honestly I would not go by "breed" but I would simply contact a rescue group and let them know your lifestyle and desires and they can match you with an apropriate dog, and you get to save a life at the same time :)

but then again, I'm biased. :p

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information!
I'm not dead set on long walks right off the bat; I would mould myself to the dog/puppy's needs, the long walk part was just informing people that I am not going to be the type to only walk a dog a couple of times a week - the dog will get regular exercise.
I will contact some rescue groups, thank you.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Im not even sure if shelter is the right thing when looking for an adult like C says. Yes its good you save a dog, but also need to understand you have no idea of good or bad habits/temperament & genetic problems.

I am a breeder and genetically test all my dogs and only breed from stable temperaments. But agree with what C said as the pup would find it too hard to walk a long distance. I cant tell you a specific breed but dont take a poodle if you arent at home often as they need human company or they cry most day.

I would check out most breeds in the way of what you are looking for, what suits your lifestyle. Just google all breeds. When you find one that suits you, you can find that dog as an adult from rescue groups, some are from known sources and handed in for some reason, or breeders often have to let an adult go.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
A shelter is the best place to look....there are too many dogs out there who have lost their families and homes due to the economic hard times....i only rescue i do not buy from breeders.... im not saying go get a senior dog if thats not what you want to do but one thats full grown.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
very very sad numbers...very sad....i honestly wish people would spay and neuter their pets, and the cat population is out of control... where i live the county is receiving around 100 cats per day....A DAY...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts