Dog Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I choose a food that i can afford. Yes, i know i could feed my dogs better, but dont have the money right now. So my choice of food is good but, even though i know better, not the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
no offense but the "im on a budget" thinking never flew well with me. im on a budget too, i feed 3 great danes food that costs $65 for a 30lb a bag. its a great food. my 120lb dane eats 3 1/2- 4 cups a day. if i fed her beneful i would pay $27 for a 30lb bag and my 120lb dane would need to eat 6 cups a day.... thats almost double what i feed. so how am i saving money? not only that my dogs are extremely healthy, great coats, no allergies, etc. if i fed beneful... eew, i dont even want to know what would happen to them....

·
Registered
823 Posts
It's about the health of the dog, not the price on the sticker.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yes budget is a factor. Once u feed a good food, the amount stays the same, even with more expensive foods. So 40$ or 80$ is a difference.
Posted via Mobile Device
that didnt really make sense. lets say, to make the math simple, brand A is a good food and $60 a bag. Brand B is an okish food and costs $30 a bag. im saving $30 right? maybe not! if i have to feed 3 cups of brand A and 6 cups of brand B then im not really saving. (for sanities sake we will say there is 40 cups of food in each bag)

Brand A= $1.50 a cup
Brand B= $0.75 a cup

Brand A= $4.50/day to feed and lasts 13 days
Brand B= $4.50/day to feed and lasts 6.5 days

so in all reality the cheaper food costs no MORE to feed

ETA: i forgot the "no" before more

·
Registered
823 Posts
thats not what im implying. im not saying you HAVE to feed an expensive food, BUT to just simply say "i cant afford it" without doing the math is silly.
Totally agreed.

I just think some people get so caught up on the price of the food. (not saying you, just speaking generically.) If it costs an arm and a leg, it must be great stuff, right?

I tried that "great stuff" and it gave my dog diarrhea. It was too much for him. I ended up on what I consider expensive anyway, but it is worth it because his coat, teeth, poo, etc are excellent. ($58 / 28 lbs.) I actually have two dogs on this food for different reasons but it works very well for them both. I don't like the cost, but have no intention of changing what works.

My other dog, however, is on Purina Pro Plan. Yep, I said it. She's extremely healthy. Believe it or not, Costco has Kirkland's dog food that is actually a pretty darned good budget food. Diamond Naturals is not a bad option at all, either.... Point being, there are many pretty good budget foods out there.

Reactions: Mawmawdog

·
Registered
823 Posts
Taste of the wild...44$ for 30 lb
Acana grain free...68$ for 28$
Posted via Mobile Device
TOTW is a perfectly good food if your dogs are doing well on it! Why bother to change?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The way you phrased your post originally sounded like "I know I'm feeding crap but can't afford better". Just trying to make a point that better IS affordable. A lot if people get sticker shock and pick up the pedigree or beneful because its cheaper. I lived rare if the wild when I fed it, and I have a lot of clients that I switched to it that do wonderful too. I was feeding back to basics, which I LOVED but couldn't afford (same situation, same amount if food to feed but different prices) now they're on earth born which is the only good that agrees with my pup.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I realized Nyla eats LESS of the more expensive food so I agree with GreatDaneMom... She was fed Science Diet originally and we kept her on it while finding the right food. She's now on Blue Wilderness which is not THE BEST out there but GOOD compared to others and she eats A LOT less of it. Works out to the same amount..not to mention less poop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.