Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Me and my brother want to choose our first puppy. We live in an apartment, without a yard. We really want to dedicate ourselves to give loads of attention and mental and physical training to our new family member, but we do have a typical modern family life. We're not home from 9am to 6pm, and it will be hard to jog everyday, so a dog that requires a lot of exercice will always be a problem.

Anyway, we were trying to come through the exercice part, because one of our favorite breed is the labrador retriever. It's perfect in all aspects for us, except the physical requirements. We basically got down to three breeds: Labrador, German Shepherd and Eurasier. Can anyone help us choose (or even suggest a more adequate breed we haven't thought of)?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Hi,

Me and my brother want to choose our first puppy. We live in an apartment, without a yard. We really want to dedicate ourselves to give loads of attention and mental and physical training to our new family member, but we do have a typical modern family life. We're not home from 9am to 6pm, and it will be hard to jog everyday, so a dog that requires a lot of exercice will always be a problem.

Anyway, we were trying to come through the exercice part, because one of our favorite breed is the labrador retriever. It's perfect in all aspects for us, except the physical requirements. We basically got down to three breeds: Labrador, German Shepherd and Eurasier. Can anyone help us choose (or even suggest a more adequate breed we haven't thought of)?

Thanks!!
First and foremost, a puppy is not ideal if someone is not home with the pup for some time. They should not be left alone for very long when very young.

Also, if you are unable to walk/jog the dog 2+ times a day you should not get a lab, sheph, or any other big athletic dog. Sounds like you may be good to go with a less active older dog. Maybe even something smaller, like a chihuahua, shih tzu, etc. But whatever breed you get you should take it out to walk multiple times a day.... It is very hard to have dogs in an apartment, trust me I have been there.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!!
:D let me start out by thanking you, from the bottom of my heart, for doing research before getting a dog, you will not regret it. i think you would do well to include some visits to your local shelter in your research. even if you don't plan on rescueing a dog, you will get some good info about dogs and what happens to them when they don't recieve adequate care and training, it is a huge responsibility imo, but very well worth the any effort you put into it. you could even browse through the posts on this site to get a good idea of what it takes to have a dog. remember, the dog doesn't get to choose you, he/she is at your mercy to have his/her needs fulfilled......
anyway, i would also get some books and start learning about care and training of your future pup. remember that many dogs were bred to "do" a specific task or group of tasks, and will have different needs based on this. herding breeds (argueably the most intelligent breeds) require huge amounts of exercise and mental stimulation. a good resource for breed info is a cite called dogbreedinfo.com, they even have a breed selector quiz you can take that will suggest breeds that may be a better fit for you (remember that even though a specific breed is likely to have certain traits, each dog is an individual) you just put in the criteria for a dog and gives a list of suggested breeds...i am not a keen on the training suggestions on that cite though....:) i did a quick quiz, guessing your criteria and it suggested: boston terrier, pug, corgi, west highland terrier. (all great breeds imo though i'm not huge into smushie faces)
there are a lot of breed clubs out there too, you can look them up and most members are more than happy to go on and on describing all the things they like about there dogs, don't forget to ask about the possible negatives though.....;)

you should also spend sometime looking into the resources for your dog where you live:
veterinarians (including emergency vet care)
doggy daycare and boarding facilities (doggy daycare is great when you work and can't be home with your dog)
training classes (training is essential, for any breed)
dog friendly parks/trails/recreation areas

these are places you are going to need, especially since you live in an apartment w/o a yard.

i agree with pawz, a young puppy is not a good idea, especially for your first dog and if he/she will be left home a lot.

i cannot stress this enough, RESCUE RESCUE RESCUE if you are set ON a specific breed/purebred, you can go to a breed rescue cite and they may have your perfect friend there just waiting for you. you can also check at shelters and on petfinder.com. i rescued a dog from a group that rescues dogs from shelters and then fosters them. this is such a great way to go imo, because you get a good idea of the individual dog's personality and training needs and a lot of these organizations will direct you to trainers, vets, etc.

if you still can't find your dog this way, and you really want a purebred, please continue to do your homework and find a good breeder. a good breeder will make sure that you are a good candidate for the pup, take the pup back if you can't keep it (hopefully this doesn't happen) so the it won't go to a shelter, provide health screening and health history of parents, and all sorts of other things to ensure that their pup has a good life. DO NOT BUY A DOG/PUPPY FROM A PET STORE you would only be supporting an industry that makes money from cruelty and in all probability getting a dog that has undisclosed health issues.

hope i helped, and didn't bore you by going on and on....good luck on your search, post pics when you get'em

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your input!

Honestly, I think our lifestyle is a bit like most people I know that work. We will be able to take the dog out twice a day, probably not for jogging, but for nice walks. But even without jogging, our puppy will receive a lot of attention and nice training sessions. My problem is that the dogs we want require a lot of exercice, so we should rule out Labs and German Shepherds, or do you think that jogging only on weekends and walks on weekdays is sufficient?

If not, what other breeds could do better without so much exercice, and still make excelent family companion dogs and very eager to please and to be trained?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Thank you all for your input!

Honestly, I think our lifestyle is a bit like most people I know that work. We will be able to take the dog out twice a day, probably not for jogging, but for nice walks. But even without jogging, our puppy will receive a lot of attention and nice training sessions. My problem is that the dogs we want require a lot of exercice, so we should rule out Labs and German Shepherds, or do you think that jogging only on weekends and walks on weekdays is sufficient?

If not, what other breeds could do better without so much exercice, and still make excelent family companion dogs and very eager to please and to be trained?

Thanks!
I think the biggest point here is NO PUPPIES. They really need to be let out and have their minds stimulated both multiple times throughout the day. Any dog will need a couple walks a day (like 15 min walks at least). I would not get a lab or sheph if you cannot take him/her out twice a day for very long walks and then in between. All dogs have bladders that must be released quite a few times per day. You really need to think about adopting an older dog and planning your day around the dog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the biggest point here is NO PUPPIES. They really need to be let out and have their minds stimulated both multiple times throughout the day. Any dog will need a couple walks a day (like 15 min walks at least). I would not get a lab or sheph if you cannot take him/her out twice a day for very long walks and then in between. All dogs have bladders that must be released quite a few times per day. You really need to think about adopting an older dog and planning your day around the dog.
But wouldn't a grown up dog be harder to adapt to our lifestyle, our home, our family? From what I've read, those first weeks/months of life are crucial and will define how the dog reacts to people, and he will probably choose his alpha during that time, etc, right? Is it possible to do all this with a 1 year old dog?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
But wouldn't a grown up dog be harder to adapt to our lifestyle, our home, our family? From what I've read, those first weeks/months of life are crucial and will define how the dog reacts to people, and he will probably choose his alpha during that time, etc, right? Is it possible to do all this with a 1 year old dog?

Thanks!
The myth on older dogs cannot adapt is false. I rescued a 3 yr old chihuahua, she does perfect with us like we have had her since she was born. The dogs at a shelter will let you know how they are, they either will be totally excited or will be shy or calm etc etc.

Yes a 1 yr old who is already potty trained I think should be fine. The biggest problem with not being home enough is potty training and stimulating the mind. They are like babies LOL. I still do not think the breeds you listed, even at 1 yr of age, is going to do mentally and physically well if you cannot exercise him for quite a bit of time daily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks!
One thing I forgot to mention, of course during the first weeks we'd be there for the puppy all the time for crate training and everything he'd need. That's why we want to get our dog when someone here is on vacations at home. :)

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention, of course during the first weeks we'd be there for the puppy all the time for crate training and everything he'd need. That's why we want to get our dog when someone here is on vacations at home. :)
It takes more than a week or two. My 12 week old is still not left alone for more than 1 or 2 hours. You also need to make sure with crate training to slowly introduce the crate. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No puppies. :)

You should rescue an adult, at least a year old.

I must have misread your post, I didn't see the plans of coming home during the day to walk the dog...hence my cat comment.

What do you think of greyhounds?

also, you mentioned this is an apartment...what are your restrictions?
I'm sad cause I really wanted a puppy, watching him grow, etc. My apartment is normal I guess. One good thing is that my granny is always home (well, almost) so the dog wouldn't be alone everytime. But as for walks, we can only walk him in the morning and in the afternoon/night.

Can someone recommend breeds? Labs and German Shephs are really out? Eurasier?

Thanks

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I'm sad cause I really wanted a puppy, watching him grow, etc. My apartment is normal I guess. One good thing is that my granny is always home (well, almost) so the dog wouldn't be alone everytime. But as for walks, we can only walk him in the morning and in the afternoon/night.

Can someone recommend breeds? Labs and German Shephs are really out? Eurasier?

Thanks
i'd honestly say that any working or herding type breed is definetly off the table, unless you want to drive both the dog and yourself insane.

Eurasiers are nice dogs from what I understand (I like all spitz :) )...they are pretty calm compared to the other two you picked...but they are really rare so your looking at probably at $2000+ puppy and possibly a waiting list. :)

if you like spitz type dogs keeshonds are nice. Basically the same as the Eurasier, but smaller (about 40lbs) and easier to come by.
http://www.klompenkees.com/faq.htm

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I personally think that a lab, or athletic breed would not be the type to live in an apartment, and only receive little exercise for the rest of its life.
I just got a new puppy and it is hard work! You need to supervise it EVERY part of the day, unless she is in her crate.
Remember: Every hour they have to go to the bathroom, they need a lot of exercise, mental and physical, food routines, and mostly house training.
I wouldn't get that certain breed unless you are hiring someone to come and check, walk, feed, and train the dog.
Think of if you leave it in the crate all day, how lonely, bored and how it can pick up bad habits such as frustration, which leads to dominance which leads to aggression.
The dog also needs socialization.
The dog shouldn't be in it's crate for more than 4 hours.
If you have an x-pen, the dog will poo and pee in the x-pen, chew up things, and whine.
And if it is in its crate, it will have to lay in its poop and pee and it will become bored and sad.

Also, think when it is older. When it is a full grown dog. Those breeds need at least 1 hour of exercise, 20 minutes of training, etc.!
I think if you REALLY want a puppy, get a small breed or a dog.
You really need to be committed to this dog if you really think about it.
I would only suggest getting it if you do part time with your job.

Remember money too. A dog can cost up to +1000 a year. And i dunno if this will happen to you, but most kids (which you are not) say " I WANT A PUPPYY!!!" so they buy a puppy and then the dog poos in the house and the kid instantly says, "I don't want him anymore." when i got luna by the first week i felt hopeless, and i thought she was too hard to handle. but i promised i would take care of her and i am. every day becomes easier.

Sorry if I offended you, but I really don't think that a puppy would be that great for your family.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I personally think that a lab, or athletic breed would not be the type to live in an apartment, and only receive little exercise for the rest of its life.
I just got a new puppy and it is hard work! You need to supervise it EVERY part of the day, unless she is in her crate.
Remember: Every hour they have to go to the bathroom, they need a lot of exercise, mental and physical, food routines, and mostly house training.
I wouldn't get that certain breed unless you are hiring someone to come and check, walk, feed, and train the dog.
Think of if you leave it in the crate all day, how lonely, bored and how it can pick up bad habits such as frustration, which leads to dominance which leads to aggression.
The dog also needs socialization.
The dog shouldn't be in it's crate for more than 4 hours.
If you have an x-pen, the dog will poo and pee in the x-pen, chew up things, and whine.
And if it is in its crate, it will have to lay in its poop and pee and it will become bored and sad.

Also, think when it is older. When it is a full grown dog. Those breeds need at least 1 hour of exercise, 20 minutes of training, etc.!
I think if you REALLY want a puppy, get a small breed or a dog.
You really need to be committed to this dog if you really think about it.
I would only suggest getting it if you do part time with your job.

Remember money too. A dog can cost up to +1000 a year. And i dunno if this will happen to you, but most kids (which you are not) say " I WANT A PUPPYY!!!" so they buy a puppy and then the dog poos in the house and the kid instantly says, "I don't want him anymore." when i got luna by the first week i felt hopeless, and i thought she was too hard to handle. but i promised i would take care of her and i am. every day becomes easier.

Sorry if I offended you, but I really don't think that a puppy would be that great for your family.
No offense taken, don't worry :)

I think every help is welcome when someone wants a dog. Even yesterday I was taking a walk and saw some people with dogs on the street that looked like they were walking with a toy... letting the dog lead the way, getting walked instead of walking the dog, facing that time as if it was just the dog time to go out. I can't be like that. I know that when I get a puppy/dog, me and my family will be there all the way from the begining, training him and making sure he will feel relaxed, stimulated and part of the family. My only problem (and that's what made me post here to get help) is really the exercice part. That's the only thing I can't promise I'll manage every day. I'm even considering coming from work on lunch and walking the dog (that would make 4 times a day: morning, lunch, afternoon and night).

So my favorite breed - Lab - would be out, but calmer breeds could work for me. I'll check in the Keeshonds that Criosphynx suggested :) Any other breed?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
60 Posts
A greyhound would be nice. I had those when i was growing up and they make very nice pets. The retired ones are used to being crated long hours and love just going for a walk. As for training they are a smart breed and are a very clean breed with little care required. Plus you would be getting a dog that really would love you for helping them out of the racing scene.

·
Registered
24 Posts
thank you for understanding.

You said that your neighbor could take care of it? But isn't it your dog, not hers? She can't look after it every day.

I used to love the breed Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I did research and everything. They don't need a lot of exercise, and they are apartment dogs. Now we didn't get one because our family is too energetic.
I think a cavalier would be good for you.

maybe if you could take a lunch break, and spend some time with it, play, food, walk and maybe an hour later, again and so on.

when i was searching for my puppy i went through hundreds of breeder websites not for just duck tollers but for all.
I like kijiji.com/ca, nextdaydogs, k9ring.
also people say, "ask your vet where you can get one" i did that to find a duck toller and nope nothing.
a breeder that we looked into suggested we went to a duck toller show and that is where we picked up our pooch luna.

so my best offer is to go to a dog show to meet some breeders.

check out DBI too. Dog Breed Info. There you can find lots about breeds, a test which one is best for you, breeders, and so on. it is personally my favorite dog breeder website. it is a whole package!

this is a picture of a black and brown and whtie one: http://static.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/dog-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/cavalier-king-charles-spaniel-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pictures/cavalier-king-charles-spaniel-0104.jpg
brown and white: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/250/520680172_ed3e41ccd6.jpg
golden: http://www.ozdoggy.com.au/uploads/21434/images/thumbs/300x300/3585/st_luke_b2007.jpg

·
Registered
148 Posts
German shepherds and labs are a no-no if you arent home alot, live in an apartment, and cant give them alot of excersize.

·
Registered
54 Posts
if u get a puppy, it will grow up to like u and get used to u and trust u.but if u
adopt an older dog, it will take a while for it to get used to u ect.....

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
if u get a puppy, it will grow up to like u and get used to u and trust u.but if u
adopt an older dog, it will take a while for it to get used to u ect.....
this is not necessarily true. a puppy needs a lot more of your time to properly socialize and train. yes, when you adopt an older dog, you don't always know her background but there are quite a few foster agencies that can give you a good idea of an older dog's behavior since the dogs generally live with people in foster homes. many have already or are currently undergoing the training that will help them to fit into your life.
puppies can be extremely demanding, and if not properly socialized and trained, can turn into cute little headaches very quickly. if you don't have enough time to devote to raising a puppy, but still would like a companion, then an older dog is a much better choice. especially for a first time dog owner.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 24 Posts