Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be choosing a puppy from a reputable breeder. They have two litters currently that have the same approximate go-home date and will be similar in size. My question is - how much does the parents' temperament play into the puppies temperament and personality? One litter - dad is more eager to please, cuddly and mom is friendly and sociable and likes to play with other dogs. Other litter - mom is a "velcro" dog and likes to be with her person rather than other dogs and dad is more dominant and stubborn. I'm drawn to the personalities of the first litter parents but I'm also liking the videos they've posted of the second litter puppies. How much is determined by their parents in your opinions?

Registered
Both more and less than you think 馃槄

I got to meet both my pup's parents. And while I can certainly pick out bits of her personality from both parents, she is also clearly her own individual. All the pups in the litter had parental overlaps plus their own. And, to make things more complicated, I also see traits from at least one set of her grandparents as well. Things like other dog friendliness/reactivity/aggression, startle responses, little behavior quirks, can all pop up. Or not.

If I were you, I'd

1. Look for the non-favorable in the parents or relatives if you can. Did mom go through a reactivity phase? Is "dominant and stubborn" another way of saying hard to handle and maybe not for a pet home? While there is always the possibility of something popping up, this is about stacking your deck favorably.

2. Ask the breeder. If they're not matching, tell them what what you're looking for and liking. Then ask them for their opinion on what pups.fit the bill best. They spend far.more time with the puppies and see things you probably won't.

Just curious, what breed are you looking at?

Registered
In my experience, offspring are as likely to take after a grandparent as a parent, which is not to say they never take after a parent. But if possible, find out about grandparents. I also agree with Shadowfox that the breeder is your best resource on potential temperament and personality. You can also look up Volhard Puppy Aptitude Test, go over the exercises they do with puppies and conclusions about what homes they fit best into. Nothing is totally predictive, but among those things, you ought to get at least an idea of major traits such as independent, shy, bold, confident, etc.

Super Moderator
I'm curious about the breed too, because that plays a big part in temperament. We have selectively bred dogs for thousands of years to do particular jobs - herding, hunting, pulling - and a few years of being pets doesn't wipe that out. You don't see terriers herding sheep - not that it couldn't be done, but it would be a lot harder to train.

It would also be unusual for a reputable breeder to have two litters simultaneously and to own the four parents (although that may not be the case, it just sounds like it).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a goldendoodle. The breeder has a couple of health tested moms who live with family members and then come to them when it's time for them to get health tests/breed/give birth, etc. I did a lot of research into the breeder and all the health testing they do for the parents (OFA, DNA, and otherwise) as well as the puppies.
They had me fill out a puppy profile to help them in matching me with the best puppy for what I'm "looking for." They also do ENS and I think they also use the Volhard aptitude test to help determine personality and temperament to match prospective owners with dogs. I'm hoping that with the breeder offering advice and having been with the puppies for 6 weeks, they'll be able to help me pick a great puppy and they'll be rational because I know I'll get suckered into the first puppy eyes I look into!
I'm thankful to all of you for everything that you post everywhere in this forum - I learn so much!

Registered
I'm surprised they are matching pups at six weeks if they do Volhard testing. I believe seven weeks is considered the sweet spot.
Based on your descriptions, it's a little hard to say exactly which litter would be right. Traits like anxiety, fearfulness, reactivity, prey drive, eagerness to please, eagerness to work etc. all factor into whether a dog makes a good pet. When you said that the mother of one litter is a velcro dog, it doesn't really tell me about her personality. Is she a velcro dog because she is too anxious to be out of sight of her owner (not ideal, IMO) or because she is intensely curious and wants to be part of everything that's happening (can be both enjoyable and exhausting)?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They just said she prefers people over dogs, she鈥檚 not bad with dogs just if the choice is people or dogs, she wants to be with her owner. They said the family member who owns her is an older person who used to show dogs so she鈥檚 done a LOT of training and one-on-one stuff with this dog. I don鈥檛 think she鈥檚 anxious.
and I didn鈥檛 know that about the Volhard sweet spot - I鈥檒l have to do some more research! Thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts