Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dish of candy out on my coffee table year round. The dish and the candy change with the season/ holiday. Aspen hasn't gone near it - until yesterday. I was in the shower and she was sleeping on the couch. When I opened that bathroom door, she was sitting outside of the bathroom and dropped something on the floor at my feet. She was wagging the tip of her tail and honestly looked so cute. I picked up what she had and it was a mini peanut butter cup! :eek: I ran over to the dish of candy and it looked untouched. No wrappers on the floor or the couch... I called my vet and explained what happened. The peanut butter cup was melted but didn't look like she ate any of it. The vet said to watch her but she's probably fine and was just just bringing me a present. She was fine but boy did she give me a scare!

I thought this would be a good reminder to us all to watch our pets this holiday season!

PS- the candy dish has been moved to a much higher location. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
Mia ate a bunch of chocolate last Christmas. She also went after the Reese's peanut butter cups which were up on a table. Luckily she ate the peanut butter insides and left most the outsides of them. Vet said that kind of low grade chocolate isn't very harmful typically but definitely watch out and keep a lookout!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,652 Posts
Haha, my parent's beagle ate a whole easter bully one year. They actually have to ingest a lot of actual cacao to get sick. A small amount of mild chocolate isn't going to hurt a dog Aspen's size. Just for your peace of mind!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,800 Posts
Dark chocolate and especially baker's chocolate can be dangerous, but milk chocolate is usually okay (unless they eat A LOT of it). The part of the chocolate that's toxic to dogs is an alkaloid called theobromine and the more processed the chocolate is, the less it has in it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys :) I would hate myself if she got sick because of something I did.
@Gingersnaps - I could never keep candy in my bedroom. I'd be up all night eating it. Yes, I'm 5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
Thanks guys :) I would hate myself if she got sick because of something I did.
@Gingersnaps - I could never keep candy in my bedroom. I'd be up all night eating it. Yes, I'm 5.
I have woken up to hear the BF munching on candy. The guilty look, the chipmunk cheeks stuffed with chocolate, the frantic tossing of wrappers under his side of the bed . . . it's kinda worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,928 Posts
Dark chocolate and especially baker's chocolate can be dangerous, but milk chocolate is usually okay (unless they eat A LOT of it). The part of the chocolate that's toxic to dogs is an alkaloid called theobromine and the more processed the chocolate is, the less it has in it.
I was going to post this. Great minds think alike. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,437 Posts
One Christmas someone sent us a gift that turned out to be a box of chocolates. It was wrapped so I just put it under the tree. I didn't know it was chocolate until I came home one day, after being gone for about an hour, and found that it had been torn open and all the chocolate had been eaten by two very happy dogs. They were not as happy when I gave them hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. The chocolate was pretty gross coming back up. It didn't put me off loving chocolate though. :)

I learned to ask now if I get a wrapped gift, if it contains food or any kind so I can eat it right away. :) My dogs don't bother gifts under the tree but they obviously check them for edibles. Lesson learned. Lesson number 13,445. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
Baker's chocolate is what they told me was the most dangerous. I was mostly worried because Mia is a whopping 8 lbs but she was fine having eaten a couple Reeses cups.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Baker's chocolate and dark chocolate are the most harmful, milk chocolate...well it'll cause gastro issues but would take a lot of it to harm a large breed and a smaller amount to be harmful to small breed; I can't remember the exact dosages. Still not recommended though lol

We had a Great Dane puppy, 4 months old, that ate an entire bowl of milk chocolate eggs and wrappers. Thankfully the vets got her to vomit it all up, the tin foil was a major concern.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,350 Posts
Lol in year 2000 we had a puppy called rocky mini fox terrier I was living at parents so were sister andher partner and of course my brother. One night rocky was far too hyper running around fast as well. We wondered why until sister accused us all of having eaten all but one (strawberry flavored). So we go look and rocky had unwrapped them as neatly as a human could he just didn't like the strawberry ones much. He went to after hours over night and was ok. Jessie and labradors can't trust with it. Jessie tries to beg and does her best to get as close as possible has licked the wrappers of my curly wurly but yet my chocolate soy yogurts left empty on coffee table so far safe.

Was funny having to explain to customer next door reason for my delay in delivering her order was because I had to finish my chocolate off as I can't trust jess with chocolate. She was lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top