Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I had never heard of (or seen) a red/chocolate yorkie, so out of curiousity, I looked them up. AKC at least doesn't recognize them. Are they common?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
It's not recognized and it's considered something no responsible breeder would promote because it can lead to health issues like other dilute colors.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
It's not recognized and it's considered something no responsible breeder would promote because it can lead to health issues like other dilute colors.
Ah, gotcha.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
well, that is such mis informed information, parti or chocolates do not carry any health issues what so ever, the blue borns do however. chocolates, have a double recessive gene, like me.. called a red head. remember when red heads were burnt at the stake because they were concidered witches? same thing. chocolate yorkies were culled" drowned or hidden" by breeders of "OLD DAYS" because they did not meet akc or ckc standard COLOURS.not because they carry anything. lol. btw ckc stands for the canadian kennel club. and i have talked to quite a few chocolate yorkie breeders through looking for more info on my dogs jobi, and they all have thier chocolates akc registered.

jobi has no health issues. he is a rescue, i do not support breeders of any breed simply because there are too many rescues needing homes. i do not pu down any breeders. i simply do not support it..:)

peace

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had never heard of (or seen) a red/chocolate yorkie, so out of curiousity, I looked them up. AKC at least doesn't recognize them. Are they common?
i think they are becoming more common because there are breeders listing them as exotic or rare, which they are not. they are not known by the public because old time breeders would drown them or give them away. but just like red headed people, they exist.:)

look in my folder. i have one. very cute. I simply wanted to connect with others, didn't really want to create a dialogue on rules and registrations.
not that you are doing this. but the thread is becoming more about registration and less about the worth of a loved pet.:) i am sure no one means any harm. but i find the same conversations pop up when ever i try to reach out and just find friends to connect with. no anger accompany this reply, just frustration.

take care

·
Registered
103 Posts
i love chocolate yorkies...brewers...in fact i love any and all yorkies/brewer breeds. i have three yorkies so yeah im biased. hehe. your babies are beautiful!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
ps i know a blue born who has just celebrated his sencond birthday...have you ever visited yorkie talk???

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i love chocolate yorkies...brewers...in fact i love any and all yorkies/brewer breeds. i have three yorkies so yeah im biased. hehe. your babies are beautiful!!!
hahah me too..thank you, when i joined yorkie talk, i learned about those brewers, pronounced beva..right?.. i prob seen them around before, but thought the were shih tzu..:) they are cute..:)

·
Registered
103 Posts
hahah me too..thank you, when i joined yorkie talk, i learned about those brewers, pronounced beva..right?.. i prob seen them around before, but thought the were shih tzu..:) they are cute..:)
lol not sure how its pronounced honestly ..if i wasnt a yt member i wouldve never learned about them. i have the same username on yt also. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ugh I figured, why did I open this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Now that's just plain rude. i would hope you opened it because you have a yorkie.? but your words imply because this yorkie is (assumed)not akc approved, you wasted your time? is this an AKC dog website? are you looking only for friends with AKC registered dogs? seriously!

btw, this was said with anger.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Dilutes can have more skin issues...this is what is commonly complained about with blue dogs as beautiful as they are. My son is red headed and he is much quicker to burn and get skin rashes. I definitely am glad you rescued your dog instead of supporting someone who breeds these dogs as rare and then tries to charge extra. When you have something that is recessive and then people start breeding those for the recessive trait and promoting it as special, rare, or exotic, you're going to find inbred dogs which are sick and unstable temperament wise. It's very bad for the breed over the course of time.

I can't speak for pawz but she works in rescue and I know she is very against breeders who would do this kind of thing. I don't think it's directed at you personally.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dilutes can have more skin issues...this is what is commonly complained about with blue dogs as beautiful as they are. My son is red headed and he is much quicker to burn and get skin rashes.
I definitely am glad you rescued your dog instead of supporting someone who breeds these dogs as rare and then tries to charge extra. When you have something that is recessive and then people start breeding those for the recessive trait and promoting it as special, rare, or exotic, you're going to find inbred dogs which are sick and unstable temperament wise. It's very bad for the breed over the course of time.
Thank you, I really think the gov't should put a cap on breeders until all these rescues are homed. there is information going around about chocolates that simply is not true.they are not the result of diluting. the gene is there from long ago, backyard breeders who do not know what they are doing and breed dogs wrong will make ill dogs as a result of being uneducated. but not the result of breeding two chocolates.

Chocolates in the beginning,after the scottish dog was bred with the yorkie. were all born to two standard coloured yorkies. That is why breeders where scared and ashamed. because it came from two standard AKC approved yorkies.

The current ones are a result of that and breeders using yorkies with this gene in both the sire and dam on purpose. but since the gene is not a diseased gene, it is not going to carry health issues with it.

The breeders that are charging $3000 for them are ridiculous and greedy.
and possibly breeding ones with health issues because they don't know what they are doing, not because of the gene.

I can't speak for pawz but she works in rescue and I know she is very against breeders who would do this kind of thing. I don't think it's directed at you personally.
well, hopefully they will come back on and explain themselves as they quoted what they were replying to. if they meant something else. that will be great.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I don't like hearing about colors that are 'rare' and not recognized yet being sold as 'rare'. My comment was about the fact that chocolate yorkies is a selling pitch.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
they might not be sickly as a result of being chocolate, but over time they would be. Just think if you took the residents of 1 island and said "ok, all redheads must breed together and together alone to make more redheads quick enough to meet the demand society has for more redheaded people." Even if 2 reg. yorkies can make a chocolate, these people are breeding the dilutes together to get that, so it's a very small gene pool compared to yorkies on the whole or a chocolate made randomly. pretty soon, all the redheads of that island would be inbred since that gene pool would be small..and inbreeding even healthy things after several generations is bad. Let's just hope the craze doesn't catch on, but putting the word chocolate with a cute little dog??? it's kind of inevitable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't like hearing about colors that are 'rare' and not recognized yet being sold as 'rare'. My comment was about the fact that chocolate yorkies is a selling pitch.
i agree.but you can't change what a dog's genetic make up is, my yorkie is a chocolate. simple as that and i am not selling him, i am looking for friends, your comment was made before anyone said the word "Rare" that is why i was upset. it looked like your words where aimed at the message you quoted, which was about breeders not being responsible if they bred them.

i understand your frustration, i share the same. But me as a pet owner saying chocolate yorkie and others as greedy breeders saying it should release a different reaction. you know?..

so this is cleared up.. lets move on, glad you have a rescue.tell me if you get a chocolate yorkie lol.. ok, just kidding! :)

not really...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts