Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog has bad paws, I took him to the vets when he got a weird growth on the end of one of his paws, it cost £70+ and now 3 of his paws are affected and in bad condition.

I can't afford to go the vets again. He is 5 years old.

Here are some pictures of what his paws look like.

What is wrong with his paws and how can I make them better?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
You are going to have to find a way to see your vet.... Did they say what it was from when they removed the first one?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
You are going to have to find a way to see your vet.... Did they say what it was from when they removed the first one?
Posted via Mobile Device
That's my question too. If they removed one in the past it should have been submitted for testing so that could give you a good idea of what this is.

Based on your photos I think more than one thing is going on here.

Does he have abnormal skin anywhere else? Nose? Ears? Around the eyes?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The vet gave him some antibiotics, it improved slightly, then the antibiotics ran out, I still owe the vet money, I can't go back, it's useless anyway.

Then he started to get horrible growths in between his paws, 3 of his paws have problems, one of the front ones is perfectly ok.

He has no problems elsewhere.

The saw white bits on the bottom of his paws gave him some trouble some time ago, he would just stop walking, then when on grass he would start walking again.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
The vet gave him some antibiotics, it improved slightly, then the antibiotics ran out, I still owe the vet money, I can't go back, it's useless anyway.

Then he started to get horrible growths in between his paws, 3 of his paws have problems, one of the front ones is perfectly ok.

He has no problems elsewhere.

The saw white bits on the bottom of his paws gave him some trouble some time ago, he would just stop walking, then when on grass he would start walking again.
The blisters can be caused by yeast. You could try a low yeast food and yogurt or kefir is even better to correct the yeast in the intestines.
the food should be something with no grains or potatoes like these and the yogurt or kefir should be given daily in food a couple of tablespoons.
L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Legume & Duck Meal Dry Dog Formula - Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc.
Lifeway Kefir

·
Registered
827 Posts
So he was on an antibiotic but had to stop before the infection cleared up? is the same paw still affected? are you sure it wasn't an antifungal?

regardless, your guy needs to see a vet. try and find a way. diet and home remedies can help prevent yeast infections, and maybe even clear up a mild case, but they can't eradicate a big one and if it is bacterial then they won't help at all. it could be both. yeast caused lesions, lesions became infected.

is he in pain still? walks only on grass?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So he was on an antibiotic but had to stop before the infection cleared up? is the same paw still affected? are you sure it wasn't an antifungal?

regardless, your guy needs to see a vet. try and find a way. diet and home remedies can help prevent yeast infections, and maybe even clear up a mild case, but they can't eradicate a big one and if it is bacterial then they won't help at all. it could be both. yeast caused lesions, lesions became infected.

is he in pain still? walks only on grass?
no he's not in constant pain, no, im sure it was anti biotics, which is probably why 2 other paws became affected afterwards? The vet is useless, doesn't say what is wrong with him, gives him expensive pills and a bloomin head collar to wear so he stops licking his paws - but it didnt work, he could still lick them

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
Then time to find a new vet. If you saw improvement with the antibiotics and then ran it, it stands to reason that they were probably helping a bit.

I think there is infection or plain inflammation going on but the masses are different.

Again, was the first one sent out for a confirmed diagnosis??

You can try soaking the feet in epsom salt solutions but it's not getting to the bottom of the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Then time to find a new vet. If you saw improvement with the antibiotics and then ran it, it stands to reason that they were probably helping a bit.

I think there is infection or plain inflammation going on but the masses are different.

Again, was the first one sent out for a confirmed diagnosis??

You can try soaking the feet in epsom salt solutions but it's not getting to the bottom of the problem.

vet shmet, what can a vet do that I can't? It costs loads and and the current vet or the new vet will just give pills, cant afford it.

she said if it "didnt go down" she would send pop it and see whats in there and get it analysed but she just gave pills.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you find a good vet, they will be able to thoroughly investigate and determine what is causing your dog's paw problems, something you are not able to do. You are able to treat the symptoms you are seeing (although probably incompletely as you only have access to home remedies, and not to medicines), but whatever is causing the problem will not neccessarily respond to the same treatments that alleviate the symptoms. If the underlying problem is not established and treated then the chances are that treating the symptoms will only provide tempoary respite, i.e. if you have a throat infection, you can make your throat less painful by taking pain killers and throat lozenges, but you won't actually get rid of the infection.

Your dog really needs to see a competent vet. Your previous vet doesn't sound brilliant if they weren't interested in investigating further, but did you go back to them to let them know how the antibiotics went?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
As stated before if you aren't happy with your current vet find another. You are the advocate for you dog, it is part of the responsiblity of owning a pet. If you aren't willing to look out for the wellness of your dog, then perhaps you need to find someone who is willing and able to be a responsible pet owner. Please don't allow your dog to continue to suffer. If he is unable to walk on his paws and if he is licking them....THERE IS A PROBLEM.

·
Registered
827 Posts
vet shmet, what can a vet do that I can't? It costs loads and and the current vet or the new vet will just give pills, cant afford it.

she said if it "didnt go down" she would send pop it and see whats in there and get it analysed but she just gave pills.
i know you are feeling pissed about lack of info from the vet and maybe you think the treatment was faulty because it didn't work but be reasonable: without medical training, the ability to match a treatment to a problem and the knowledge to identify problems in the first place, the answer as to what a vet can do that you can't is pretty straightforward.

a good vet will answer your questions and treat the symptoms in the most effective way. find another vet. get some pet care credit or sell something to pay for it.

you are obviously concerned because you came here looking for help. no one is trying to get you to spend money on something not needed. the best help you can get is from a vet. if you want a stop gap or a bandaid, you can try all the home remedies you can google for what you "think" the problem is. if you want to get to the root cause of your poor guy's paws, you need to see a vet and get those things inspected by a professional with a microscope and an education. then you need to follow through with treatment. i cannot stress how important that is. stopping or running out of an antibiotic before an infection is cleared up is dangerous.

i know you didn't expect a huge vet bill and your poor pup is having problems and you owe money to the last vet who didn't seem to fix the issue. it's understandable that you are stressed out and feel like a vet isn't going to help any now but the reality is that your dogs feet are infected with something and have some sort of growth on them and no home remedy is going to cure them. the last vet was not a good match. take what you learned from that experience and use it to find a new vet you can respect and listen to.

this time, ask the vet lots of questions...don't accept "because" as an answer ....and follow through with treatment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you find a good vet, they will be able to thoroughly investigate and determine what is causing your dog's paw problems, something you are not able to do. You are able to treat the symptoms you are seeing (although probably incompletely as you only have access to home remedies, and not to medicines), but whatever is causing the problem will not neccessarily respond to the same treatments that alleviate the symptoms. If the underlying problem is not established and treated then the chances are that treating the symptoms will only provide tempoary respite, i.e. if you have a throat infection, you can make your throat less painful by taking pain killers and throat lozenges, but you won't actually get rid of the infection.

Your dog really needs to see a competent vet. Your previous vet doesn't sound brilliant if they weren't interested in investigating further, but did you go back to them to let them know how the antibiotics went?
no, i havent been back, i owe them money

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As stated before if you aren't happy with your current vet find another. You are the advocate for you dog, it is part of the responsiblity of owning a pet. If you aren't willing to look out for the wellness of your dog, then perhaps you need to find someone who is willing and able to be a responsible pet owner. Please don't allow your dog to continue to suffer. If he is unable to walk on his paws and if he is licking them....THERE IS A PROBLEM.
A dog's for life, id rather die than give him away, he's not suffering, he loves his walkies.

I'm just not going to waste £100s on vet bills.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.