Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought this was so cool. Several years ago I had his DNA run because I was curious of his breed mix. Ever since, I've gotten messages that he has new relatives, but none any closer than like extended cousin level. About a week ago, I got an alert that he had a new relative, as close as sibling/parent, and a few days ago I got another one!

Neither one has a super complete profile, so I don't know much about them, but both finally uploaded pictures (they look a lot like him!) and both listed the same town in Oklahoma as where I got Chisum, so they are definitely related.

I just thought it was so cool and was geeking out a bit. They don't live close, and Chisum isn't friendly (and who knows if they are), so it's not like we could meet up or anything. I really wish Sophie's siblings would pop up because she could handle a meet up and that would be really cool - and I'm super curious as to what her siblings looked like haha.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Ah, but maybe online is an option? It sure would be interesting to find out about the genetic overlaps, and any behavioral or environmental! Once came across where a lot of the males from a line of gsds would store their bones in their water bowls.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Oh, that is so fun and cool. I have decided to do Embark for one of my dogs, and am looking forward to finding out the results. (Not doing the other one because his genetics are kind of obvious).
I am just working up to being able to spend the money on it. A good friend of mine did a great deal of research and decided it was the best one to do, even if not the least expensive, and when he does the research he is never off base, so that's the one I am going with as well. If it turned up relatives, that would be so fun.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be fun to reach out to them - if they were to respond it would be interesting to see if they have had the same health issues, and especially if they've had the same behavioral issues.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
How exciting for you!!! Definitely make contact😃
Id do anything to see or hear anything about jesses siblings. I advertised on gumtree, fb animal groups several times over the yrs to no avail

1 - 7 of 7 Posts