Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two chihuahua boys were neutered on Friday Feb. 24th. Today is the third day and it looks pretty bad. They both are wearing the E-Collar. But, in is this incident they are using the collar to "itch" their incision/"sack." It is getting very red and swollen. I spoke with the vet and they won't give me antibiotics or sedatives to help them out. I myself have tried to apply an antibiotic ointment(which was approved) and they are not having it at all!!!!!! I know they are miserable. What other things can I try for them, as it is breaking my heart!

A worried mom! :(

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I agree. It looks bad.
Take them to the vet to make sure the vet sees this.

Ask the vet for a longer e-collar.

Don't take "no" for an answer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. It looks bad.

Thanks for looking and reading. I will be taking him back. I feel so bad for him. It is worth the 40 mile trip!!

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Have you actually seen them scratch the scrotum with the e-collar? If so, you can line the edge of the e-collar with a soft cloth or something (tape it on).

From what I"m seeing, they have some bruising which is actually kind of common post-op. How does the actual INCISION look?

Are they on pain meds?

Antibiotics are not necessary unless there is yellow or green drainage from the incision.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Also, try ice-packing the scrotum and incision-- 5 minutes 3 times a day.
Yes I watch him scratch with the e collar. Lining it could be an option if it weren't that bad. As of the last few hours he has ripped a stitch. It is as red as the crayon color "red." I tried to get a photo and he bit me. He is not a happy camper right now. They didn't send me home with pain medication. Which I think he needs. Baby aspirin......not going to do the trick. Called the vet and am taking him in tomorrow.

Also, I can't anywhere near it or he nips. So, an ice pack unfortunately is not going to happen :(

Even tried putting on diapers(from a female spay) and a t-shirt to block it off. But, as I stated....he is one ticked off dog and won't let us go anywhere near his behind area.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Sorry- good luck tomorrow then.

And please do not give the baby aspirin unless your vet told you to-- and make sure to mention if you do give it when you go.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
The incision doesn't look too happy either but the reddness and swelling of the scrotum aren't really of concern to me, FWIW.

Now that he's popped a suture, it's best he goes in... especially since you cannot handle him awake at this point. Hopefully if they have to sedate him, they can line the e-collar with some bandaging material... and make sure to get some pain meds (and now probably some antibiotics if the incision is opening up...)

·
Banned
795 Posts
I agree. It looks bad.

I think the collars are being made shorter now! I got one of Standard Poodle and the collar was unless as he was digging at his wound. I had to use his old collar that bended of of shape as the vet did not have any longer one. I can't believe the vet will not give owner of the Chihuahuas and meds so they won't get an infection. I agree they should go to the vet office and and if the vet does not help , it time to find a better vet. Some vets are real jerks today.
Are you dogs able to pee ok? I would be concern about the urine burning them as they look so raw. poor babies! :(

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
It would have been incorrect for the vet to give antibiotics for a sterile surgery such as this if the incision was not open... that is how drug resistance begins. Now that it is open potentially, antibiotics are necessary. Before, they were not.

I am, however, disappointed that they were not sent home with pain medication, as they should have been IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It would have been incorrect for the vet to give antibiotics for a sterile surgery such as this if the incision was not open... that is how drug resistance begins. Now that it is open potentially, antibiotics are necessary. Before, they were not.

I am, however, disappointed that they were not sent home with pain medication, as they should have been IMO.
Yes, I am pretty upset that no pain medication was provided. Now I'm scares for my little prince when he goes back. I will make sure to get everything I can for him and his recovery.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the collars are being made shorter now! I got one of Standard Poodle and the collar was unless as he was digging at his wound. I had to use his old collar that bended of of shape as the vet did not have any longer one. I can't believe the vet will not give owner of the Chihuahuas and meds so they won't get an infection. I agree they should go to the vet office and and if the vet does not help , it time to find a better vet. Some vets are real jerks today.
Are you dogs able to pee ok? I would be concern about the urine burning them as they look so raw. poor babies! :(
Yes. They seem to pee just fine. No whimpering or discouragement. So that part is ok. But just look! So terrible!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: Went to the vet and they gave him some antibiotics to take for five days. They also gave me the ok to continue using baby aspirin, one daily. I purchased "Fura-Zone" to apply to his wound, which was also vet approved. So I am hoping for a faster and smoother recovery for him!

Thanks to you all!

Ren, Stimpy, DayZee and Lily's Mom~

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It does looks very painful to me. I hope you can get some help fast.
We went to the vet yesterday and they gave us some antibiotics. I also was recommended to use Fura-Zone. So, we are on the right track. Now it will just take time! Thanks for your concerns! I'm sure my little gladiator will bounce back just fine now! :)

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Thanks for the update. Good luck, and do let us know...!

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can make an "e-collar" that works really well with bubble wrap. Cut it so it goes behind the ears and to the shoulder. Then just keep building up layers until its like a fat tube.

I did this for my terrier and it was alot more comfortable looking and did the job. Also she was always catching the standard e-collar on chairs, etc. and getting herself stuck. Not so with the bubble wrap.

I wish I had thought of this but actually I read about it on another forum.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can make an "e-collar" that works really well with bubble wrap. (And duct tape, ofcouse.) Cut it so it goes behind the ears and to the shoulder. Then just keep building up layers until its like a fat tube.

I did this for my terrier and it was alot more comfortable looking and did the job. Also she was always catching the standard e-collar on chairs, etc. and getting herself stuck. Not so with the bubble wrap.

I wish I had thought of this but actually I read about it on another forum. Just wanted to share because its a great idea.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Guardian, what a great tip!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts