Dog Forum banner

Chihuahua - Mitral Valve Disease

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  coulsontnt 
#1 ·
Hi Group:

I'm new here. My 12 year old male Chihuahua (Shafera) recently was diagnosed with a heart murmur (grade 3). I took him to the Cardiologist for a full work-up - everything was fine (bloodwork fine, BP great, resting heart rate, great, etc.) - however, the Echo shows a "leaky valve" the Mitral Valve Disease which is common in small dogs. He is very active and it doesn't seem to bother him. The vet said he is on the borderline of to treat or not to treat so she decided to put him on Pimobendan twice a day. She said he has heart disease but does not have congestive heart failure. I know it's slowly progressive and some dogs never develop congestive heart failure. I was wondering if anyone has been through this or is going through this as it has me down and could use some support.

Thanks,

Jayce

#2 ·
Hi Group:

I'm new here. My 12 year old male Chihuahua (Shafera) recently was diagnosed with a heart murmur (grade 3). I took him to the Cardiologist for a full work-up - everything was fine (bloodwork fine, BP great, resting heart rate, great, etc.) - however, the Echo shows a "leaky valve" the Mitral Valve Disease which is common in small dogs. He is very active and it doesn't seem to bother him. The vet said he is on the borderline of to treat or not to treat so she decided to put him on Pimobendan twice a day. She said he has heart disease but does not have congestive heart failure. I know it's slowly progressive and some dogs never develop congestive heart failure. I was wondering if anyone has been through this or is going through this as it has me down and could use some support.

Thanks,

Jayce
Hi Group:

Thanks,

Jayce

#5 ·
3 1 h ago
Hi there ,
Welcome to my nightmare , my 11 year old chihuahua developed this same issue like over night , luckily I’m in the field. But don’t worry I feel lost and scared , I ask a million questions , second guess myself went in for an echo on Tuesday , and put her on two new meds , along with the other ones we started that same day , vetmedin and Lasix , cardiologist added two more , one being eneapril , that made her strange so we took her off it , I need help and guidance like yourself, I’m here for you, I also ordered hills H/d heart healthy food , it worth the money low sodium diets are the best .
I hope you reach back out to me , I would love to help and get help

#3 ·
Hi there ,
Welcome to my nightmare , my 11 year old chihuahua developed this same issue like over night , luckily I’m in the field. But don’t worry I feel lost and scared , I ask a million questions , second guess myself went in for an echo on Tuesday , and put her on two new meds , along with the other ones we started that same day , vetmedin and Lasix , cardiologist added two more , one being eneapril , that made her strange so we took her off it , I need help and guidance like yourself, I’m here for you, I also ordered hills H/d heart healthy food , it worth the money low sodium diets are the best .
I hope you reach back out to me , I would love to help and get help

#4 ·
Hi Group:

Thanks,

Jayce
Hi,
I’m so sorry , I totally understand, welcome to my new he’ll, we all can help each other , my 11 year old chihuahua develop the same issue , we saw the cardiologist Tuesday , and I got a little better news then expected, but however with the change to her meds , I’m losing my mind , she is now breathing heavy , we stopped one and decreased one , and added one , I have to be honest , I’m in the field , but I’m lost in the sauce , I could advice you to make sure we are in a lot sodium diet , that means no salt LOL but you know that, hills prescribed h/d is heart diet and you might want to consider, I’m better at giving advice , but I feel support knowing we are tougher , we will fight this tougher , your not alone ,
Best,
Cindy

#6 ·
Hi Group:

Thanks,

Jayce
My dog Gaby too was diagnosed with the same problem when she was about 13.5 years old. She's will be 16 years of age in about 4 months. She has been on heart medication and Science Hills h/d ever since. She has done well and has been completely healthy until this past month. She started having seizures, which I got medications for but did not work, so she's on another medication and it seems to be working. However, the new problem is she is collapsing and passing out whenever she gets overly excited like when someone rings the door bell or when I come home. It is heart breaking to witness her heart failing her. My recommendations are to keep up with her heart medication, low sodium diet, watch for signs of what looks like and sounds like kennel cough because that could be the start of congestive heart failure, go see the vet for Lasix (my Gaby is currently on) if you see your dog breathing fast and/or heavily, and when you think the end is possibly near, spoil the heck out of your dog with whatever she wants to eat - forget the low sodium stuff. My Gaby will be eating better than me for the next few days/weeks but hopefully months. I wish you the best of luck !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.