Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs are currently on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. I am not happy with the amount of recalls Diamond has so I was looking for a new food. One of my dogs is sensitive to chicken so I was hoping to find another brand without chicken but I am having trouble finding one. I was looking at Natural Balance L.I.D (which turned out to have duck, which I am not sure my dog will handle well) and Wellness Core Ocean and found out they are all made by Diamond.
Anybody have any other brand suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My pup doesn't do well on chicken so I spent a lot of time looking for a kibble free of it. Fromm has a few varieties that fit the bill and he's done great on it!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've look at their fish based foods but apparently they contain Chicken cartilage, so that isn't really good for my dog...

Edit: Their lamb and lentil recipe looks pretty good and poultry free. Maybe I will give that a shot.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I'm a big fan of Acana. They also have single protein foods, so you can be sure you're not getting anything that might upset your pup's tummy.
I really like the lamb variety myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The varieties we've used are: Hasen Duckenpfeffer, Lamb & Lentil, and Pork & Peas, none of which have chicken (they do have eggs however, although this doesn't seem to cause issue for him). We mix in Zignatures wet food which he also loves. I've never used their kibble but I believe they also have chicken-free varieties.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Acana Pacifica formula looks great. I think I will take that one over a land animal protein formula. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The varieties we've used are: Hasen Duckenpfeffer, Lamb & Lentil, and Pork & Peas, none of which have chicken (they do have eggs however, although this doesn't seem to cause issue for him). We mix in Zignatures wet food which he also loves. I've never used their kibble but I believe they also have chicken-free varieties.
Hasen Duckenpfeffer, what a name :D Another one I have looked at is Nutrisca. Anybody have any experience with it?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hasen Duckenpfeffer, what a name :D Another one I have looked at is Nutrisca. Anybody have any experience with it?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I've used Nutrisca...........good but $$$$ I found the best way to find foods with or without certain ingredients is to go to the Chewy.com website because they list the ingredients of every food they sell! Good to use as a reference! There are lots of chicken free kibbles if you search!

P.S.
Also as a little factoid that many may not know is that chicken allergic dogs (and that includes fresh chicken, chicken meal, chicken by products, and chicken eggs) are usually allergic to the protein, and chicken fat, which is in many kibbles, is a fatty acid and contains virtually no protein, so is okay to feed!

Reactions: KayWilson

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
There is also Go! singles, one is venison, another is salmon, and the other is duck (?). I personally don't have to worry about animal proteins, as my dog is allergic to grains/flax, but I used a rotation of Acana singles, regionals, and Orijen. Orijen has a fish, a regional red (beef), and a Tundra (duck and venison)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
My dogs are currently on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. I am not happy with the amount of recalls Diamond has so I was looking for a new food. One of my dogs is sensitive to chicken so I was hoping to find another brand without chicken but I am having trouble finding one. I was looking at Natural Balance L.I.D (which turned out to have duck, which I am not sure my dog will handle well) and Wellness Core Ocean and found out they are all made by Diamond.
Anybody have any other brand suggestions?
Zignature and Go Sensitive and Shine both are chicken free. Both quality foods.
My dogs love the turkey in both brands. My hound can't eat chicken he is intolerant and gets stomach issues if he gets the smallest amount of chicken or eggs.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is also Go! singles, one is venison, another is salmon, and the other is duck (?). I personally don't have to worry about animal proteins, as my dog is allergic to grains/flax, but I used a rotation of Acana singles, regionals, and Orijen. Orijen has a fish, a regional red (beef), and a Tundra (duck and venison)
As much as I would like to feed Orijen, it is just slightly out of my price range.
I have decided to try Acana, thanks for the suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My JRT has a severe chicken allergy, like can't even have chicken fat in the food. We are currently feed Satori brand. There are 2 varieties we use the Lamb and Fish (Lily prefers the lamb!). It's a really great product that contains whole ingredients and uses locally (Canadian) sourced ingredients. Also has never been recalled.

·
Registered
256 Posts
As much as I would like to feed Orijen, it is just slightly out of my price range.
I have decided to try Acana, thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Look out for Canidae as well, grain free pure sea, no chicken, cheaper ($52 for 24lbs on chewy) than Acana and has a 5 star rating on dogfoodadvisor.

On top of that, if you contact the customer support and ask for samples, they will send you coupons (3x $5 off) and, since I was asking for samples, they even send me one coupon for a free 4lbs bag (normally $14 at petco) of the pure sea.
No, I don't work for them, but my dog loves the food, the customer service is outstanding and the ratings are as well. On top of that it's not as expensive as Orijen or even Acana.

As far as I understood they are a fairly new company, but (in my view) deserve a chance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts