Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what the ratio is for adding boiled chicken breast and green beans to dry dog food?

I want to feed my Shih Tzu (a 9 yearold that has a tumour on his lung) extra protein. Currently he is eating Blue Buffalo senior dry food but I'll be switching him to Acana Regionals Wild Prairie once he's done with the BB bag. Acana Wild Prairie is 60% protein and 40% fruit and veggies........it's grain free.

I don't know the % of protien/carbs for Blue Buffalo right now that's why I want to add extra protein. I heard green beans are really good for dogs too but not sure if I should be giving it to him as he shouldn't be eating any sugary veggies. Green beans aren't sugary like carrots right? It's also high in fiber and protein.

I feed him 1/3 cup of dry food, twice a day. I was wondering how much chicken breast and green beans I should be adding (oz or ratio to 1/3 cup of dry food). Please let me know, thank you for your time.

·
Registered
827 Posts
hi tripleyum.

if you are worried about tummy upset, just transition slowly. 1 part new to 3 parts old for a week. then one to two. then one to one. then all new.

if you want him on a high protein diet, talk to the vet or a nutrionist. high protein diets do carry risk. stress on the kidneys, bone density loss and there are studies in humans it increases the risk of cancer. given the tumor (i am assuming it is benign) a nd his small size and his age, i think a professional opinion is wise. if you are cutting out some kibble for the chicken and beans, you will be replacing some of the balanced nutrition with just two ingredients. if you are adding them on top, you will be adding more calories that could lead to weight gain.

green beans are not a source of much protein (less than a gram for 10 raw beans) and yes, sugars are low, about 1.5g

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
broccoli might have more health benefits, but you would not need much for that size. Ihave a friend who gives her scottie 1 floret steamed a day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Dawnben..thank you for the article, it's very helpful!

Thank you awp, I will probably talk to a nutritionist...he does love the chicken breast I give him though, a very loose 1/4 cup of shredded boiled chicken breast plus almost a full 1/3 cup of dry food. I haven't fed him any green beans.

Hi marbear, thank you for the tip!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 6 of 6 Posts