Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if itchy skin as a result of a chicken allergy (raw chicken) would show up within days of first starting to feed it?

My dog has started eating raw chicken 4 days ago. I suspected an allergy to chicken kibble but understand that raw is different than chicken in regards to allergy.

She's been so itchy and that's unusual. Wondering if I should switch her protein already due to itchiness.

Thanks,
Kerri

·
Registered
13 Posts
I heard that most of the times chicken allergy are a result of the way the chicken is kept, and that many dogs that had a chicken allergy can actually eat biological chicken...
That said, you wrote you suspected an allergy to chicken kibble, does that means she had some problems even then?
The thing is, if she is allergic to chicken, switching from kibble to raw won't help (and if she is allergic and keeps eating it, her reaction is going to worsen, that's normal...).
If she is allergic only because of the way the chicken was treated, then you have to switch to a biological animal, and wait for more than 4 days (allergens take some time to disappear).
You should consider also that she could be allergic to other things: I don't know what she ate and is eating now apart from chicken, but it could be that she was allergic to some of the addictives in the kibble, or perhaps other ingredients, like some vegetable or grain (I've heard many people saying that gluten actually "creates" allergies... don't know if it's true, but that's what I've heard).
It could also be an environmental allergy: some kind of plant, or a different soap in the house, or even a different fabric for her bed.
If you have started giving her ticks and flea repellent, she could have developt an allergy to them (allergies are horrible things... I had many food allergies when I was a child, that disappeared on their own when I was 5-6... 15 years later, I developt, suddenly, many other allergies, to food but not only, and all of them new)
(I have no idea where you live, but could it be fleas?)

In your place, if I suspected food allergy, I'd change protein, either trying some special kibble for allergic dogs or cooking (or giving it raw if you like the idea) myself.
I'd try for 2 weeks, giving her body the time to remove the allergens, and than I'd start reintroducing different things one at a time, slowly, so if she starts showing problems you know what it is.
Or, you could go to the vet and test her. It's way faster than trying every food item (and I know of dogs that tried for months before doing the test and finding that they were allergic to things like dust, or some kind of grass, or eggs only...)

·
Registered
502 Posts
My beagle mix has a pretty extreme chicken allergy(in kibble, cooked, raw, it doesn't matter) and within a day she'll have scabs on her neck and be super itchy. So yes it can show up very quickly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts