Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little advice on chewing things up! I have two dogs/puppies. One is an 8th month old Aussie mix and the other a one year old husky mix. Both are wonderful dogs! We got the Aussie at 12 weeks and kennel trained him, slowly letting him out more when we were gone. The husky we just got and although we love him his last owner did not do a very good job at training such a high energy dog. He is terrified of his kennel and is not leashed trained. We are working on these things though and I am hopeful.

They enjoy playing with each other all day, playing with their toys, daily walks and daily training sessions. By the end of the day they are exhausted!

Both me and my husband work full time but our schedules vary so they are only home alone a couple hours a day.

Now to my question! With the dogs being so young my solution to the chewing problem is just to keep things clean. If you dont want it chewed up then put it away. We also work on drop it and leave it. It works pretty well and we rarely have problems but occasionally things do get left out and if its noticed by the dogs there is a good possibility that it will be destroyed when I get home! I am wondering what I can be doing do prevent such behavior besides keeping things put away. Will they grow out of this? My way of thinking is just to prevent bad habits from being created (keeping trash cans closed, things put away) and helping them create good habits through training (keeping feet on the floor, drop it and leave it) Will this work? What more can I be doing? I would love to come home one day without the worry that something was left out and destroyed.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Keep them crated if they're alone! If they chew something up and swallow undigestible pieces, it can be life threatening!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said my Aussie mix is crate trained and has no problem staying in his crate but the Husky came to us afraid of his kennel and although I am working with him on this it is much harder to kennel train a dog that already fears the kennel than one that has never used a kennel. When we got him his kennel was outside in the backyard and too small for him. Who locks a dog in a kennel outside? I assume they had to put out there because of his constant barking when in there. Anyway, I am going very slow with his kennel training and he is now comfortable sticking his head in and front paws for treats but not to the point that he will go all the way in let alone being able to close the door. So not an option right now!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I think you're on the right track with making sure to put things away. One thing I might suggest is totally puppy-proofing a room. That way you can toss them in there without worrying about what they'll do. The second thing I might suggest is make sure they are nice and tired before you leave. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts