Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Goldilocks has been doing GREAT overall. She has come a long way. She just passed her CGC, is almost perfect at loose leash walking (all of a sudden in the last week or so), has mostly stopped mouthing people and objects other than toys, and is learning how to self-settle (also will settle for treats when I tell her to).
However, she has decided that the tags on her collar are chew toys. Her neck is long and bendy enough that she can reach them and when she's particularly board, she'll have a good-old-time trying to grab the tags with her mouth and chew. She already destroyed the one plastic tag (the microchip info tag) and is well on her way to rendering the metal ones unreadable. I've always been of the mindset that dogs keep their tag collars on 24/7 unless an accident should happen when you least expect it and they get out/run off, so that whoever finds them has some info about them. She has a microchip, which relieves some of my concerns around keeping her collar off.
Has anyone else had dogs (puppies) that do this? What do you do? Should I just leave the collar off? What's the point of having the tags if they aren't on her?
She wears a harness most of the time at home so that we can safely put her on a tie-down when we can't be 100% on her and it's what we attach the extendable leash to at the park so she can play safely. I take it off at night and when she's in her crate. We walk her with a choke collar (I know not supported by this forum, but it's what our trainer has us using and we've had a lot of success with it, so I'm not up for debating), so really we never actually use her regular collar for anything other than the tags/emergencies.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Chessa's idea is amazing! Those collars are very shiny and chrome, and I always wanted to get one. The noise of regular tags can be irritating to both us and dogs.
When I had to wear dog tags, we used silencers.

http://www.amazon.com/10-Dog-Silencers-Choose-Colors/dp/B007AYD87G

Little rubber wraparounds that fit regular and old military dog tags. Might, MIGHT be able to fit it over other style dog tags.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts