Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been playing around with different chew toys for my dog. I was using raw hide but since her adult teeth came in she devours one in a matter of hours. Mostly eating it in large chucks. Soo those are out, next i got her the knot toys that many people play tug-o-war with. She loves them but she pulls apart the strings and eats them, sooo those are out. Next i tried rubber toys, she hates them. As much as i encourage her to play with them, she wont. So whats left? What are good chew toys for dog? Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
With two labs our favorites are:
- Extreme Kongs - we stuff them with peanut butter, let them freeze over night and it keeps our labs entertained for at least 30 min.

-Kygen Invincibles - our big 80lbs boy loves these... he carries them everywhere!!

and pretty much anything else indestructible that you can stuff food into. They are completely and utterly food obsessed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My lab doesn't like non-edible chews either. These days, I give her a raw meaty bone like an oxtail or a large pork neck bone, nearly daily.

Recently I've been trying beef tendon. People will dry them to make them chewier but I give them to her straight out of the freezer.

Sometimes I'll give her a Whimzees, the long straight ones. The Petco near me sells them individually but the Petsmart only has them in boxes of 12.

Previous things I've tried that I've liked. The Blue Wild Bones, kind of expensive. The Himalayan milk chews, again, kind of expensive.

Things I've tried that I haven't liked. Rawhide, the first chew I tried when I first got her. She likes them just fine but I read too many negatives things. Also bully sticks. She ate it but wasn't enthused about it and it kind of smelled.

I've found her in the back yard chewing on a stick, and the fence has signs of her chewing on it so as much as I give her, it still doesn't seem to be enough. She's not destructive in the house thankfully, guess she's outgrown that stage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I go to our local butcher and get their raw meaty beef bones for our dogs; my Lab x Shepherd is an extreme chewer and he is satisfied with one of those big bones for a couple days at least in stages, especially if they are frozen. I also get mine braided bully sticks, which last an hour or so.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
880 Posts
If you are looking for a soft toy the Kong Huggz Hedgehog is a great one. Trucker likes the stuffed bones and they take him longer to chow on.
Huggz Hedgehog - KONG

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Antlers are good. There are also flavored nylabones that can be more enticing than regular plastic or rubber toys. And if you put in some peanut butter or kong spread it might make your dog more interested in a toy like that.

Have some healthy caution with rawhides because sometimes when they're wet they can block the throat and be a choking hazard. They can be fine but it's not a toy I'd leave the dog alone with when I go out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
my Airedale(75 lb) rips pieces off large cow leg bones and it was to dangerous to give to him
but the local feed store sells water buffalo horns the solids ones last for ever and they love the taste and there pretty cheap also

1 - 10 of 10 Posts