Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 year old dog loves to chew! She is medium sized. She has chewed all her toys and right now the only toy she has is wood, and I don't want her chewing that!
I need something that will stay together for more then a week, any suggestions? Also what about two dog tug toys? I have two dogs that are about the same size and they love tugging on anything they can find (yes even a old sheet someone left lying around, they found it this morning and were ripping it to shreds. Thank goodness we were already planning on throwing it away).

Also I know this isn't the place to post this but I don't want to have to make a new thread.
My dog when she plays tug of war with my other dog will always growl, it isn't a mean growl but after a while it gets annoying, especially if you are trying to work when they are playing. I was wondering if any of you have this problem and how you deal with it. I used to tell her to stop but she thought I was referring to playing. I really don't know what to do about it, any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I always like to recommend Elk Antlers as a good long-lasting chew for dogs. Many people feel comfortable also giving deer antlers (softer, more prone to splintering) and/or moose antlers (VERY hard, higher likelihood of breaking teeth - especially on an aggressive chewer). My girl also really enjoys Bully sticks, they don't last very long, but are always a hit!

I would also work on some no-chew training. Any time she starts to really chew on something inappropriate, give her a good chew toy instead (kong, Antler, bully stick, etc.) Over time this will discourage any destructive tendencies (your dog toy budget will thank you). :p

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where do you buy elk antlers? Do you have to buy online or do they have them in most pet stores? I live in Canada.
I think my dog would love elk antlers, how long do they usually last?

Can you have bully sticks inside? I know some are odourless but I'm not sure those would be the best to have.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Where do you buy elk antlers? Do you have to buy online or do they have them in most pet stores? I live in Canada.
I think my dog would love elk antlers, how long do they usually last?
I'm lucky enough that we have a local supplier that comes out to pet shows and expos in the area, so I make 1-2 trips a year and stock up! (Where in Canada are you? If you're anywhere near the Michigan border, I believe this supplier hits dog shows in the greater Detroit area once or twice a year)

Most pet stores have them, but if you can find an alternate supplier (hunter, small local business, online store, etc.) you'll likely get a much better deal!

How long they last depends on what cut/size/density antler you get, as well as how aggressive a chewer your dog is. My dog is a moderate chewer, and a medium size split antler can last her for months (she chews on her antler for maybe ~10 minutes most days?). My sister has a Sibe, and she goes through antlers much more quickly (the Sibe is also a more aggressive chewer). They tend towards whole antlers, to make them last longer.

Can you have bully sticks inside? I know some are odourless but I'm not sure those would be the best to have.
I feel totally comfortable giving bully sticks inside, I've never really noticed any foul odor from them. I've never bought any that were specifically odorless, but maybe some "regular" bully sticks are smellier than others?

I would also highly recommend Himalayan Chews, my dog goes NUTS for them, and they last for a decent amount of time - not nearly as long as an antler, but much longer than a bully stick. They're a very infrequent treat around here, because they're so darn expensive!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I went to the pet store today, and I bought a bully stick and a elk antler. I'm sure my dog will LOVE them! Thanks for the suggestions!
Someone said they let their dog chew on the bully stick for about 15 minutes and then they freeze the bully stick for a couple days. Just in case there is bad bacteria on/in it. Do you do that?

Mesonoxian, thank you so much for your help! It is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Nylabones are a big hit here and the largest size does stand up to their aggressive chewing. Antlers are also a very good option.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Cow hooves and horns are a favorite around here.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The
Chuckit! Ultra Duo Tug Dog Toy​
is one of Trucker and his best friend Carly's favorite tug toys. She is a Doberman Pincher and he is a Redbone so when they get going it it a fierce tug game.

Trucker and Carly also like the Fat Cat Incredible Strapping Yankers (Tractor Supply) even as stuffed toy if as stood up too these two for the last month and a half and shows no signs of wear at all. Trucker plays with it by himself everyday also (he is a shredder).

They also use the Tough By Nature Invincible Chains Rubber Dog Toy.

Trucker loves the PetSafe Busy Buddy Magic Mushroom for both chewing on because he chews on everything and treat/food dispensing.

Trucker also loves the KONG Squeezz Crackle Bone since it soundes like a water bottle and that is normally one of his thefts that is hard to stop but since getting him this he seems fine chewing the bone instead.

His absolute faviorte chew toy/dog toy is the KONG Huggz Hedgehog. He had the Outward Hound Hedhogzz and destroyed it in days this still looks brand new after 2 months.

He has all natural Rawhides and a Nylabone (the Hedgehog Bristle Brush Dental Chew). The Nylabone only has a couple teeth marks in it and no bristles left. But he goes through a Rawhide bone every other day.

I might check out getting him an antler as a bone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Timber" my dog destroys even the largest nylabones! It'll take her about 2-3 weeks to do it but I want something that last longer. She is a huge chewer.

I bought the Outward Hound Hedgehogzz about a year ago and I wouldn't give it to my dog because she chews, but my sister would give it to her's and my dog somehow got it and it was in pieces in a couple minutes. I might have to try out the KONG Huggz Hedgehog!

I like the sound of the Tough By Nature Invincible Chains Rubber Dog Toy and the Chuckit! Ultra Duo Tug Dog Toy. I think both dogs would love it and I don't think it would be very fun to chew on so that solves the chewing problem.

Thanks guys for your help!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
So I went to the pet store today, and I bought a bully stick and a elk antler. I'm sure my dog will LOVE them! Thanks for the suggestions!
Someone said they let their dog chew on the bully stick for about 15 minutes and then they freeze the bully stick for a couple days. Just in case there is bad bacteria on/in it. Do you do that?

Mesonoxian, thank you so much for your help! It is greatly appreciated!
You're very welcome, I'm glad I could help! :)

I never freeze bully sticks, I'm not really worried about any bacteria. They're already dehydrated, so the only bacteria that may be there is from your dog's mouth - the same that would be on any other toy/chew they use.

Have you tried the Galileo Nylabone? It feels like a rock, but that is the only nylabone that held up to Lena's adolescent chewing.

Reactions: TruckersMom
1 - 10 of 10 Posts