Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: I let Sam out this am in his fenced in back yard to relieve himself while I made coffee. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw this animal in the back yard. I looked again, and there was Sam running with happiness being on his own. I'm horrified, terrified, nasty dog hater next door, thinking the worst. Sam didn't even have any ID's on him, got a new set and had not put on yet. Well, he came when called, phew, need to work on that again.

But really, back to check your gates, lawn mower guy was here and didn't bother to lock it. I know I should have, but, shoulda, woulda coulda!!

I'm sure many others have had this experience, so I guess this is a reminder to check.

Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I'm glad he's okay!

Happens at my house all the time. The kids are FOREVER forgetting to shut the gate. Luckily, if we're all in the house, Aspen will stay in the backyard. If the kids are playing out front or in the woods, Aspen will leave the backyard (either through an open gate or by jumping the fence) because she wants to go play with them :) She doesn't really ever go anywhere. It's hard to get mad because I like when she's with them in the woods, honestly.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'm so glad he came back! That would've given me a heart attack. Percy has been "accidentally" let out by my friend's step mother and she always let's him out in the front. One time he didn't even have his collar on and it took an hour to catch him as he was running around on the highway. Talk about a heart attack. Kirsten had an asthma attack by the time she caught him. Jeez. :/

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have to be on these workers that come to our houses!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
This happened to me once when I was in college my landlord had yard workers that I didn't know were coming so my dogs were in the backyard just hanging out while I was eating my breakfast.

After a while I heard scratching on my front door, I went to check it out and it was my little scottie dog just sitting waiting patiently to come back inside. Meanwhile my adolescent mutt was running around the neighborhood just having a great time. The yard workers waved at me and said good morning as I'm running around in my pajamas trying to grab my dog (this was only a couple weeks after I got her so there was no recall yet) I mean COME ON! You opened the gate to my backyard and just let my dogs run out and don't even tell me?!
I'm just glad my scottie scratched on the front door because who knows what could have happened, I bet my other dog would have ran away since she was new or gotten hit by a car.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Glad your dog is safe....things can go from bad to worse in a heartbeat.

I almost lost a little dog when I moved into a new home, and the guys bringing my furniture in, opened the bathroom door to use my bathroom, but that was where I had locked up my little 8 pound dog, Shilo. She got out there - they left the front door opened and she got out of the house - and they left the gate open so he got out of the yard and was gone. They didn't notice. I came home for lunch and immediately noticed my dog was gone and asked them when they last saw her...it had been at least an hour and half.

Shilo had zero body fat, was actually on the very thin side due to thyroid issues and a small dog...with little fur which was thin due to the thyroid issues too. She was also 10 years old at the time and had a bad hip...the ball of it had been cut off when she was younger and put back into the socket to heal up like that because it kept getting dislocated....the socket was too shallow for the ball joint.
It left her with a very weak back leg.

This was in February...in Idaho...and while that day was warm for February, it was still cold, about 45 degrees and everything was WET! Snow had been melting off of trees and grass and in a few short hours the sun would be down then the temps were going to fall to about 25 degrees.

I was new to the area, it was a mile outside of city limits, and very few people about...but I knocked on every single door and business up and down the back road I lived on plus the highway looking for her. Finally, some young boys said they spotted her trotting down the highway. I traveled down the highway, about a 1/2 mile to some greenhouses, saw a man outside of one and pulled in there and asked him and he said he spotted her heading out to some cow pastures and headed toward town.

I ended up almost into town and stopped at an auto body shop and a gas station cafe on that end of those huge cow pastures, and people there had seen her, too. By that point, that little dog had traveled at least a mile. The people at the gas station said she had turned and headed back the direction that led out of town again and into those big cow pastures...where the grass was like knee high...I couldn't see into the fields...if she was in there it would have been impossible to spot her.

I headed back down the highway and spotted a dirt turn off that might take me to the cow pasture river area. I saw some fishermen in a truck coming towards me from the cow pasture/river area and asked them if they had seen her. They said they saw her just a few minutes before but she wouldn't come to them when they called her.

I drove down the road and then spotted her in a cow pasture...running up and down a fence line. I pulled over got out and could hear her whining, and saw she was in a full panic. I called her but she acted like she didn't know me. I called her again...then she stopped and started up a more frantic whine and crawled under some barb wire, over a snow bank and got to me. She was soaking wet, shivering uncontrollably and went into a full out cry/yelping when I picked her up...she also smell of cow dung that she probably got into as she waded through the soaked cow pasture.

I had brought a towel, just in case I found her and I wrapped her in that and brought her home and put her in the bathtub and ran warm water over her...both to warm her up and get the smell of cow dung off of her.

After I got her warmed up and dried out some, I called my vet and took her in. Shilo probably in a round about way, ended up traveling about 2 to 3 miles as she wandered in the area between my house and the edge of town. The vet gave her a sedative, pain killer and some extra for the next day when she would probably really be feeling the effects of her panicked flight through the wet cold countryside.

If I hadn't found her within the next half hour...it would have been dark, and I'm sure she would have died of hypothermia within an hour or so, that is, if a fox, owl, or coyote didn't snag her.

The guys who moved in my furniture, felt bad...they just got too involved in moving in appliances and setting them up and moving in furniture and installing my window shades...and one guy thought the other guy had shut doors, gates, etc.

Anyway, it all came out ok. Shilo was sore for about a week, but she went on to live for another 5 years and she never left the property after that either, even when she had one or two chances. (we had a huge wind storm one night that blew my big flat board fence over...and I didn't realize it when I let the dogs out...but she stayed in the yard. )

Stormy

·
Registered
917 Posts
Once my sisters boyfriend left the gate open and my mom's two scotties got out. The male, Dickie was very friendly but Bonnie was super skittish. She had spent the first year of her life locked in a laundry room with her sister, owned by an older woman who just couldn't care for them. Then she was 'rescued' by a well meaning but overwhelmed woman. So she spent the next few months outside in a small cage surrounded by other dogs and chickens, fed chicken food mixed with the dog food. When my mom had gotten her she was afraid of everything and everyone, men in particular. My mom had had her about a year at that point and she was really coming around. She loved me, my BF and our dogs. So when the dogs got out there was no chance of nearly anyone catching Bonnie, and strangers really freaked her out. To make a long story short my mom got a call saying the dogs were at the police station, but one was dead. Bonnie got hit by a truck, killed instantly. Dickie was fine, luckily.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I`m a very paranoid gate-checker. I have never left it open but live with people who sometimes forget to close it properly. Once my neighbor left the gate open and Ella ran out to the street -- I live basically next to a 6 lane highway. Imagine what my heart was doing.

Thankfully she didn`t run to the highway but stayed on our small street and didn`t go too far from house BUT she doesn`t have a good recall if something more interesting is around so in the end I tried to convince her to come to me for like 10 minutes. She thought it was some kind of new hilarious game and ran back and forth between me and the builders working on house across the street... they had a blast seeing this frantic woman in pajamas trying to catch this dog who was all "nanana you can`t get me" :eyeroll:

For a while after that I made sure I was wearing normal clothes & prepared for run when I let her out :p

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Once my sisters boyfriend left the gate open and my mom's two scotties got out. The male, Dickie was very friendly but Bonnie was super skittish. She had spent the first year of her life locked in a laundry room with her sister, owned by an older woman who just couldn't care for them. Then she was 'rescued' by a well meaning but overwhelmed woman. So she spent the next few months outside in a small cage surrounded by other dogs and chickens, fed chicken food mixed with the dog food. When my mom had gotten her she was afraid of everything and everyone, men in particular. My mom had had her about a year at that point and she was really coming around. She loved me, my BF and our dogs. So when the dogs got out there was no chance of nearly anyone catching Bonnie, and strangers really freaked her out. To make a long story short my mom got a call saying the dogs were at the police station, but one was dead. Bonnie got hit by a truck, killed instantly. Dickie was fine, luckily.
Im sorry, that`s horrible :(

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
We had some furniture delivered, not long ago, the guys were unboxing outside the front door, and left the door open. Samantha, being nosy, went out, and about 20 minutes later we realized she was not in the house. Went out, and found her not 20 feet away, trying to figure out how to get through the box mess to get back in. Moved some of the boxes, she ran back into the house. Guess she knows how good she has it here.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
My dad is the worst for leaving gates open. One time I let Levi out into the back and was helping my younger brother get ready for school. Said good-bye and he headed out the front door, and in bounds Levi, happy as a clam. My dad had left the side gate open and he was sitting on our front porch waiting to come in. He was about 6 months old at the time. Thank freaking God we're so bonded. :]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts