Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My almost 7 month German Shepherd Chase is a serious Mommy's boy. If I leave the room for a minute he starts barking and whining. When I feed him I have to be next to him or he won't eat. He is a serious Mommy's boy.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It sounds like he may have separation anxiety which isn't cute, it causes a dog a lot of stress and panic. I would consider training that out of him personally.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like he may have separation anxiety which isn't cute, it causes a dog a lot of stress and panic. I would consider training that out of him personally.
No he doesn't he just loves his mommy he sleeps either beside me or on me. He thinks he is still a tiny 8 week old puppy who needs his mommy 24/7 but he is almost 7 months now

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'd start 'stay alone"-training with him.
there can always be situation where you have to leave him for a short while and you don't want him to be distressed in these situations.

Reactions: cos

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I also agree, some "alone time" training would probably be very beneficial to your guy. You don't want him to be seriously distressed if he has to be alone for extended periods of time all of a sudden.

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sometimes owners think that the always wanting mommy or daddy thing is cute and they feed off of it and allow their dogs to whine and get attention, as well as spend every hour with them because they love the idea of the dog being dependent and attached to them - but while this may seem cute it can be a real stressor on your beloved pet to become so co dependent. What your pet thinks is that when you leave you're not coming back. It would be like if every time your mother left for work you actually though she had passed away. It would cause you a lot of emotional stress and grief, which is what your pet experiences when you leave because essentially he thinks you're never coming back. Separation anxiety can be hard on an animal, and can be hard on you because you may end up with a dog that goes crazy and destroys things when left by himself because he doesn't know how to handle being without you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts