Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Chase in to see the vet yesterday and turns out the beautiful boy is heartworm positive. :(

I've been crying for him since I got the news. I was originally planning on taking Bullet to see the vet on Monday but decided to get him in today instead to get him checked for heartworm. The rescue will be doing the treatment, but I have several fosters with heartworm and it just makes me so sad that they have to go through the harsh treatment. We'll be starting to organize a fundraiser for the treatment soon to help cover some of the costs.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear your doggy has to go through heartworm treatment...hopefully it's not a really bad infestation and will clean up easily. I've seen photos of dog's hearts that died because of the worms....it's terrible looking and I know a lot of dogs never get treatment - catching it early also prevents bad damage.

Here in Idaho, heartworms are almost a non issue. Only about 16 dogs and no cats were reported to have been found with heartworm not too long ago...2013 or so. Idaho is in the top ten of states with the most pet ownership....about 62 percent of the folks in Idaho own either a cat, dog, or both. We don't have large population, but it still adds up to a lot of pets and vets here are just not seeing big issues with heartworm being a problem.

I've never done preventative treatments for my pets against it...and I doubt most people around here do. My vets' never brought it up either.

Stormy
You're lucky heartworm isn't a problem where you are. Here there is a huge prevalence for heartworm. Pets need to be on preventatives for 6 months of the year. It can be a bit expensive since I have rather large dogs but was able to find a good source for the preventatives for a fraction of the cost when compared to buying them at the vet.

Hope their treatment is quick, painless, and complete. Poor puppers. Sending good thoughts.
Thank you. I too hope it's an uneventful treatment and recovery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.