Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie cant have much longer left

3K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  crazy 
#1 ·
I accept no dog lives forever and ive mentally been distancing myself a bit from charlie so i might handle when he has to be put to sleep better but lately found im getting closer to him and he comes to me more for cuddles and if i go give him love ozzy gets jealous and pushes me away when charlie enjoying my love.

Anyway charlie is 11 years old 12th Jan but i dont know if he will last another 6 months a walk he finds ok normally going up 1 hill and back down i saw him limp up and skip on one back leg. Last saturday Jessie was at groomers i stayed at parents whilst they walked dogs to look at UK housing and other things. He came home collasped on the carpet looking lifeless. Mum and i mentioned the words food and treats which he normally will perk up at and want right away. No such luck he just lay there on his side not moving(probably due to pain). Mentioned this to vet today as plan to weight charlie saturday and i fear he has put weight on but how much no idea he on acana light and fit 2 cups a day cant go any lower for him and he takes previcox ad synoquin. we cant afford anything else

Even mum thinks he doesnt have much longer left and vet doesnt either and neither do i. I doubting he has till may to be honest and if he is here in may thats a miracle. Here are a few pics of him.

If he goes before i move to UK then its a blessing because if he is here still then omg its going to be dreadful leaving him behind! i promised id be here til day he dies but i have to move to UK. i hope he can forgive me this.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Jeru
#2 ·
For the members who doesnt know charlie he was hit by a learner driver at a year old on the left hip and skinned him. He was chasing after a cat across the road we were about to put garage door down as we had shopping to get out the boot. Charlie has stuck with me with my disabilties and illnesses and suicide attempts he stopped me cutting myself and for quite few years stopped over dosing. However as he got older 6 years onwards he got arthritis in his hips and its severe as of few years ago. he cant get up my stairs without slipping (wooden open stairs) when he stays over i have to block his entry and he now likes to throw a tantrum last time he came to stay a night!

as of 3 years ago i got another dog who keeps me living Jessie if i think of suicide i got to look at that cute little face and i cant do it, turns out need a dog living with me and charlie cant.

#3 ·
I'm sorry to hear that.. I hope that Charlie could have a peaceful ending, and that his death won't be to hard on you. You can be happy that he has lived a long life in a good caring home.

I feel like the majority of dogs are emotional support dogs. So I am glad you do have Jessie, as the passing of Charlie would must likely be harder on you without him.

#6 ·
Im hoping it doesnt get to the point he cant walk for more then few minutes to be honest id like him to go before that point. He has life in him still but not like he used to esp when younger and he really just lays around alot, get up for treats, walks and food. its starting to look the bad day are going to out number then good ones when that will be? soon? he couldnt even handle a 1.23k walk other week and i had to drag him home. Normally can walk to vets from mine and back just went to the pie shop with a friend and i was having to drag him home. Then my friend said i think charlie wants to walk with me as im slower and he was happier.

Parents took him on long walk last weekend they want to do it while he can but are they in denial or what? he cant hack them its too painful due to cost of meds he only gets full tablet of anti inflammtory in weekends but they are so expensive it isnt doable to keep him on full tablet every day so its every other day.

Its going to be devasting to be honest but i know right now and at the time ive got to be strong but just not ready to say goodbye. For sure his death will be more then hard on me but Jessie is a sweetheart she is any bad thoughts look at her and i cant even do that bad thought and she gives me special cuddles and kisses when i cry licks my face dry even around my eyes :)

I've learned through life one can really never prepare to say good bye to a loved one, be it a human or a pet.
crazy, just love him with all you have.
When the time comes, there will be tears, but soon the memories of the snuggles and love he gave in life will take over.
im just worried if i dont hold back a bit it will be even harder when he goes heck i keep welling up with tears typing. Ok i will sure do that just hope it wont make it even harder for when he goes.
Ah I'm so sorry, that's so hard :( Charlie looks and sounds like an amazing dog. I'm sure he would never hold not being there against you. *hugs*
Thank you he is an amazing dog and if he looks amazing because he has the best care possible even diet is the best he can get. oh i sure hope not and i think he would understand eventually if not right? *hugs back* thank you.

He is full of fatty lumps too. im dreading weighing him in 2 days i hope he hasnt got to 40+kg because he got close to 37kg last time. I hope he does have longer but if mum and vet can agree with me then its saying alot isnt it? vet has been hearing about charlie from me.. maybe its time for another checkup soon for charlie. He still loves going to the vets even to be weighed he loves saying hello to the staff there wags that dangerous tail of his that used to knock over wine and red wine and more:)

#5 ·
Ah I'm so sorry, that's so hard :( Charlie looks and sounds like an amazing dog. I'm sure he would never hold not being there against you. *hugs*

Reactions: crazy
#10 ·
I am so sorry. It is hard not to feel conflicted in a situation like yours. I will be praying for you. Affordable Quality Dog Supplies - Affordable Quality Cat Supplies
Thanks
I am so sorry you are at this point in your life with Charlie. He sounds like a great companion and i'm sure he feels you have done the same for him as he has done for you. Sending you and Charlie lots of hugs.
Well i hope he can make it to christmas or march if that. Oh he been a great companion and fantastic support over the years even when im sick these days he still wants to come on the bed and he will do his best to get on it he doesnt care if he has to jump up though he should he just loves the comfort of being next to me when im unwell and sleeping next to me. Its very very rare that though because i say no to him coming on the bed knowing how severe and bad his arthritis is these days.

It's never easy to say goodbye even when we know it's best for them. Distancing yourself is normal, it's sorta like slowly letting go before actually having to let go, at least that's what it was for me with Shadow.

Could the warmer weather be making it harder on Charlie? I know with Shadow he did best when it was cooler like in early spring or late autumn, the cold and hot weather were hard on him once he was old. I'd take him on short walks, like to the end of the block then back home, it was easier on him then a long walk, if he was having a really good day we would go a bit further like 2 streets, but if I tried walking him any further he'd spend the next two days limping so it just wasn't worth it even if he seemed like he was enjoying the walk.

Treasure your Charlie while you have him and spend whatever time he has left making some great memories that you can cherish once the worst of the grief has passed. :huddle:
Thats a good point we have noticed he goes on the hallway tiles at parents when he is hot and uncomfortable. I thought it would make it easier on him excercise wise though the warmer weather? it is spring here atm. Oh i will sure treasure him even if i have to put ozzy out in the garden to give charlie more love i will do it. Ozzy has no respect when comes to his best mate charlie and i he doesnt seem to understand or accept charlie needs my love more then ever and butts in per usual so will find a way to overcome it. lets hope its only the warmer weather adn he will have more time though its doubtful i can only hope cant i.

I love how he comes to me more often telling me he needs more cuddles off me reaching out very touching. we have bonded more recently through training a bit on his recall on a walk now and then. Coming to me though it hurts him he will try run to me looking so happy i asked him to come. More then willing and happy to create precious memories with him. However will never forget the days he pulled me face foward on the concrete or stones!

Reactions: Rain
#9 ·
It's never easy to say goodbye even when we know it's best for them. Distancing yourself is normal, it's sorta like slowly letting go before actually having to let go, at least that's what it was for me with Shadow.

Could the warmer weather be making it harder on Charlie? I know with Shadow he did best when it was cooler like in early spring or late autumn, the cold and hot weather were hard on him once he was old. I'd take him on short walks, like to the end of the block then back home, it was easier on him then a long walk, if he was having a really good day we would go a bit further like 2 streets, but if I tried walking him any further he'd spend the next two days limping so it just wasn't worth it even if he seemed like he was enjoying the walk.

Treasure your Charlie while you have him and spend whatever time he has left making some great memories that you can cherish once the worst of the grief has passed. :huddle:

#11 ·
Oh im so glad i made the effort to go see charlie though ive bad tension headaches atm. Helped mum walk charlie and ozzy with Jessie. boy charlie struggled up the hill but he was determined to get up this bank himself! he made it btw and we were about to finish the walk 5 mins to go when all a sudden he sat down not moving.

Told mum i will walk him home (my excuse to have 1 on 1 time but also because i thought he couldnt do anymore) so get the lead on and walk him home down the hill. We get home and i let him off lead and sit on floor legs apart he came readily for a cuddle. It was so precious i kept kissing him and he kept licking the palm of my left hand then my face and neck. I told him how precious he is and i really love him and later on that im sorry if he is still here when i go to live in UK i got to move i havent much choice but i know he getting close to going and please tell me when its time for you to go i want you to go with dignity and i wont let you suffer and please forgive me if your here still when i go live in Uk. he was wagging his tail at me then rolled over groaning nad happy sound mixed in one tail wagging so much as i rubbed his belly a few times he repeated it asking for more. was a lovely 10 mins without anyone there but us and no ozzy butting in. also made sure to really give him some massage when i got to parents place rubbing his head again just wagged his tail looking happy :)

oh i also told him he will always be my baby boy i know he is a old man but that he will always be my first puppy and dog my first labrador and the best labrador to train passing CGC foundation and bronze on the same day he has achieved alot. I was in tears saying this. told him how proud i am of him :) at least he knows all this and i will keep telling him so

Reactions: Rain
#12 ·
good news is charlie lost weight now 38kg was 38.8kg so thats good news but not the weight loss that i wanted i was hoping for a bit more but it just shows he cant lose it faster then he would normally

#14 ·
Oh im sorry which post made you cry? he is amazing and so loyal :)

#15 ·
he never leaves me behind on a walk when i join parents and him he will wait till i caught up then only then is he happy to walk on :)

#18 ·
wow thats amazing! thankfully we arent having to do that with charlie yet! i dread that day, so sorry your ben is like that :( :huddle: im making sure i give him big hugs more and more now

#19 ·
I'm sorry to read about Charlie and the heartbreak you are going through already...it's always sad to watch a beloved pet get old and see the problems they have in their old age.

Stormy

#20 ·
Thanks stormy. Yes its sad never mind hard and heart breaking watching charlie over the last two years not even be able to manage my stairs at home without slipping through them so having to block the stairs with laz a boy chair and other things. At least he hasn't got to 40kg! otherwise might be saying goodbye even sooner? even though he has lost weight he is still struggling daily and it saddens me to see a shell of what he was. He used to love swimming, running, long walks, play a lot, knock over wine with his tail, try get into the food alot etc.

These days lots of moan and groans, struggle to get comfy, sleeps alot/lays down a lot. Only get up for breakfast and dinner and walks and treat if he isnt too exhausted or in pain. But come through front door he greets you tail wagging goes between your legs happy to see you and now and then wants to play.

#21 ·
Well he may have lost weight when i last weighed him but it seems to be doing nothing to help his joints he has really slowed down this last week painfully slow. Even me walking at my absoulute slowest and im a slow walker he cant keep up with me unless i wait 2 or so minutes for him to catch up. He now goes on strike on walks by that he just sits down unable to continue now and then he gets up and carries on and he is less walking up the grass hill where we take the dogs up the street on the usual walk he goes on.

Charlie and i are having time with one another when i see him. When i go on the walks i often have to take him home before the others he isnt minding so much now like he used to. I also explained that id never dessert him but that in may i have to move back home to the UK and that i dont want to leave him but ive no choice and asked him to please forgive me that he will always be the best labrador and puppy i had and how proud i am of him, he put his paw and arm over my arm to say i wont hold it against you feel free to go.

That has made it a bit easier. What a very forgiving dog.

#22 ·
but he does still have intrest in my food he came begging for something i was eating cant remember exactly what maybe a pie? he looked very exceptant lol

#23 ·
charlie has lost weight again :) 37.8kg now :) hoping to get him to 37kg will post some pics once laptop charged up and tommorow probably :)

#24 ·
Some photos of charlie most recently. His tail is mostly down on walks these days not too sure what to make of it since he looks happy there on the photos to me. i do know he really slowed down and stuggle on walks

Attachments

#25 ·
Tonight brother reluctant to take ozzy to his as he believes Charlie and ozzy can't be separated they can just really miss each other. Charlie curled by front door when ozzy went with brother. But I said awww Charlie come here he curled in front my feet. Took shoes off and massaged him with both my feet while drank cup tea and until I went home. He fell asleep snoring quickly could feel him vibrating when snoring lol. He would even stretch out in pleasure lol. He doesn't normal do that but with ozzy gone for the night he felt he could?

#26 ·
Have you tried joint medicine? My 16 year old dog was having issues walking and she couldn't climb up and down the steps to go to the bathroom. We bought her some cheap stuff from Walmart and within about 10 days she had a little pep in her step.

There is no getting around the death of a loved one, she may go soon, but the least we can do for our babies is make them comfortable. I hope for your sake that Jessie can help you get through the grieving.

I lost Nysha on October 27th. She was 11 years old, seemed to be the healthiest dog in the world, and she had so much puppy left in her. She also helped me through my depression - suicide attempts and cutting. I was afraid that once we put her down I would feel the urge to do so again, but I know that she is with me because I haven't even thought about it.

#27 ·
Yes we have tried lots and if werent for the synoquin I no doubt it would be his time right now. That's good to know your dog helped you in same way and you feel her still with you that you haven't thought of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.