Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I explained in the introduction.. Charger is a Lab/Hound, approx 2 years old.. My prpblem with Charger is, he's a fun loving dog in the day time.. But at night time he become very teritorial. He growls at the cat or dog when they get near him.. Wondering how to fix this. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does he have a crate or other safe place thats only his that he can use to get away from the other dogs?
No.. I wish I had started him that way.. But since the gf and I have been home with him (car accident a year ago) I didn't think we needed a crate..

How do you react to the growling?
Recently, I been yelling at him, and telling him to shut up.. But the moment he starts I jump up, ,and ask him if he wants a treat.. So far it's working!:eek:

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
My dog does the same thing sometimes, he has behavioral issues and we recently began using positive reinforcement (calm voices and treats) instead of negative reinforcement (yelling). When he begins to growl we say "uh uh" then when he quits we call him to us, make him sit, do something else like shake (this gets his focus completely on us) then he gets a treat. He has to stop his growling first though and a calm "uh uh" quiets him down.

If you have not been using a correction word you may be better off calling him to you and getting his attention off the other animals and onto you.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
He does need a crate or a bed (or som'thing) thats just his, kinda like a kid with his own room.

The yelling will do a couple things, one...make his more anxious/nervous... and two...take the ticker off the timebomb...the dog will learn to not growl (his warning) and simply go straight to the snap.

What your doing now with the treat is great, keep that up...you can also "trade" the dog whenever he has an object that you think will be a problem, or you just don't want him to have....

say "drop it" and hold out a treat...he only gets the treat (or toy) when he gives up the inapropriate item.

Good luck!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Drop it really works well we have a pug that hordes all the balls and will growl and make a big deal out of the girls trying to get one. I use drop it and leave it and he seems to do a lot better cause it takes his mind off the balls.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts