Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it was going to be either a Papillon or our last minute add on a Cavachon. However my doc tells me otherwise.

I'm in my 20s and have bad knees, one is due to injury. Today my doc tells me I either have to slow things down majorly or look at needing a double knee deal soon because my good knee is getting worse. Which means I need to find a new job, one I'm at currently I'm on my feet for 8 hours or more. And need to look at new pup options, cause paps and Cavachons don't like to be couch potatoes.

~low energy (short potty walks nothing as long as my 1 hour park walks)
~ maintenance doesn't matter
~ not a yapper or a nipper (I know it has to do with training but I have heard some dog breeds are prone to being either yappers or nippers)
~ easy training (especially house training)
~ under 25lbs (landlords limit)
~ won't harass the cat ( grew up around dogs)
~ won't pester or harass the rat (who is always well supervised)

My fiancé suggested a Pug (his dream dog.) I'm looking at suggestions here on the Pug. As well as other breeds.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll keep shih tzu in mind. Crowley, the cat, grew up near them (well one was a mix.)

I'm hesitant getting an old dog because of Gus and Crowley. I want it to grew up with them. I know an older dog can be cat safe but I don't want it freaked out about Gus. Because when he's rolling around in his ball in whatever room we happen to be in I don't want the dog to get spooked.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'll keep shih tzu in mind. Crowley, the cat, grew up near them (well one was a mix.)

I'm hesitant getting an old dog because of Gus and Crowley. I want it to grew up with them. I know an older dog can be cat safe but I don't want it freaked out about Gus. Because when he's rolling around in his ball in whatever room we happen to be in I don't want the dog to get spooked.
There's a happy medium between a puppy and an "old dog." :):)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly it stinks that I now have to force myself to relax and do less. I enjoyed my hour or so park walks, the occasional hike and even the people I work with.

Looking at breeders real quick I can't believe how much $ a pug is or even a shih tzu. Who knew suck small breeds could be so much.

·
Registered
300 Posts
have you considered a Pekingese? Im loving mine and he is really low maintenance apart from having to love him lots and brush him everyday. He is equally happy to run outside for 10 minutes than what he is lying on the couch with me watching tv. Also what I found very interesting, I visited my sis this weekend and she has a rat. We were worried about the rat because my Baloo has never seen one before and I had no idea how he was going to react. he sniffed at her, and then to our amasement immediately wagged the tail and started licking her the way he kisses us. They played beautifully the whole weekend. Baloo did not ever tap her once with his paw, and she did not bite him either, which she tends to do with other dogs. Who would have thought!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yeah there are a variety of ages, doesn't have to be old
You could also look for a dog that has already lived with cats or has been deemed Cat-Friendly at the shelter or rescue

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@LoveGus - Breeders are expensive, no doubt about it. An option would be to see if they have any older puppies (didn't get a home) or returned puppies/young dogs. They usually don't sell them for quite as much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts