Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last couple weeks I have been looking for breeders to get a siberian husky off of. I had looked at shelters for puppies, but decided I would rather get an 8 week old puppy off a breeder, then an older dog in a shelter.

Well I decided to search the available dogs in the closest SPCA to me today, and OMG I fell in love. There is a 3 year old black and white female siberian husky for adoption right now. She is spayed, will be microchiped and all that fun stuff already. I just... it was love at first sight on her profile on the computer.

So I don't know if I had a change of heart, but I would take this dog in a heartbeat. I even submitted an application for her!

I think the deciding factor will be whether or not my current dog, Keeno, gets along with her or not, and if she will get along with cats, and how I feel about her in person if my application for her gets accepted.

I really wanted a pure white husky puppy, but after seeing this girl, my heart just melted. I don't know if it is a change of heart or what, but I can't get this girl out of my head.

Does anyone know if the SPCA will allow you to bring your dog for a meet and greet if application is approved? I will talk to them about it, but I am still waiting to hear back.

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
Yay! Hope it all works out!

Each shelter is different. All will have their own rules and adodtion process, but generally yes, you'll very likely do a meet and greet. My local shelter normally requires a meet and greet (all people and dogs in the home) prior to adoption approval.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
My shelter allows quite a bit. With one adoption, I took my older dog up there and then took him and the dog I was looking into adopting for a walk together, one of the shelter folks walked Lacey, the dog I was looking at and I walked Ernie. Both behaved as if they had known each other their whole lives.

We then put them in a fairly large pen together to see how they would act off leash...and watched them, and again, they were relaxed with each other, so I adopted Lacey the next day. She and Ernie were best friends after that.

When I adopted HaHa, I was worried I wouldn't be able to work out a food plan for him I could afford, yet get him to gain weight. He was a literally almost a skeleton when I adopted him.

The shelter had him for a year, and couldn't get him to gain much weight during that time....so I asked if I could bring him back in 2 weeks if I felt like I was failing with him and they said yes. Turns out, what he really needed was just way, way...way...smaller meals....and fed a lot more often in order to hold food down.

Btw, my last 3 cats and 4 dogs were all ones I saw first on the internet and they caught my attention for some reason, unknown to me...even though I had been looking at photos of other dogs and cats with similar looks.

I have loved all of them and have been fortunate that none of them have been 'problem' animals. The dogs, none of them have ever got into a dog fight, or terrorized the cats, or growled at guests, or raided my garbage. Well, HaHa did once, but he forgot how to do it after a few days of being prevented from doing it....one of the advantages of having a mentally disabled dog. :p He forgets things fast.

I also got lucky that the photos of dogs that had me stopping and looking at them so much I contacted the shelter....that they were 'low energy' type dogs, which is what I needed given my bad back.

Don't feel weird about find a photo and feeling something about that particular animal...just be sure to ask a lot of questions about it...as you mentioned not wanting a dog that will cause problems with other pets in the house.

Best wishes with the adoption.

Stormy

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Most shelters don't allow you take a dog home with another if they don't meet! I say you insist on a meet and greet. And so glad to hear you looked into one at a shelter! :) I told you there were loads of young huskies in shelters.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The SPCA and shelters here always require at least one meet and greet, sometimes even 2 or 3 if the dog is selective with other dogs. I know some shelters also allow for a trial period to see if the new dog can get along with other pets in the house (especially with cats or smaller dogs if the dog is a high prey drive type).

Fingers crossed for you!! I hope it works out!! Please keep us updated!!!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Can't imagine a shelter that would not allow a meet & greet. Our local shelter encourages it & may require it. BTW congrats, sure understand what happened to you @ the shelter. It happened to us too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So update for you guys... The dog I really liked is no longer available for adoption, so someone got to her before I did. :(

I will be looking at the shelters daily to see when new dogs show up, but am also looking for puppies again too. I don't know when I will end up getting a new dog now, and I want just the right one, like the dog I have now, it took me a few weeks, maybe even a few months of looking before I found him. I am in no hurry to adopt/buy, so I will wait for "that dog" that just clicks with me again.

I however did talk to the shelter, and they do allow meet and greets with pets, but do not allow trial periods in your home. Which I am fine with, my dog gets along with mostly everybody else, he has only not gotten along with one dog. We are still trying to work things out between the two dogs, and hopefully they will get along better again, but besides the point, if Keeno were to meet a new dog and get along with it one time, I am 90% sure he would except it into his home without conflict.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Good luck with your search. You are doing it the right way, spending time researching. It's a major long term commitment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can also look for animals on these 2 websites, adoptapet.com and petfinder.com. Both of these are databases for shelters and rescues all over the US. You put in your local, type of dog etc and it helps you find animals in your area.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Sorry you didn't get the dog you were looking at.

---------
Stormy

·
Registered
34 Posts
So update for you guys... The dog I really liked is no longer available for adoption, so someone got to her before I did. :(

I will be looking at the shelters daily to see when new dogs show up, but am also looking for puppies again too. I don't know when I will end up getting a new dog now, and I want just the right one, like the dog I have now, it took me a few weeks, maybe even a few months of looking before I found him. I am in no hurry to adopt/buy, so I will wait for "that dog" that just clicks with me again.

I however did talk to the shelter, and they do allow meet and greets with pets, but do not allow trial periods in your home. Which I am fine with, my dog gets along with mostly everybody else, he has only not gotten along with one dog. We are still trying to work things out between the two dogs, and hopefully they will get along better again, but besides the point, if Keeno were to meet a new dog and get along with it one time, I am 90% sure he would except it into his home without conflict.
I'm sorry you didn't get the dog you wanted. I hope another that steals your heart is available soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.