Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- looking for some feedback/insight into my dogs new behaviors. We have a 1 year old( just turned 1 last week) lab/chow mix. He has been completely house broken and has always slept in bed with us. A few times within the past week he has woken up in the middle of the night, left the room and went to pee on the guest bed in the other room. I’m not sure what could be causing this behavior and the only thing I can think of is that his typical schedule has changed due to us being home 24-7 due to COVID19. Thoughts / suggestions ?

Also-within the last week he has been excessively licking his paws. We have been taking him to the beach so I’m wondering if this could be the trigger.Again, any thoughts/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,657 Posts
It is possible that the change in routine has disturbed him. However for any change like this we would always suggest a vet check. I realise that isn't easy right now but I'd phone your vet and see if you can drop in a urine sample.

Two possible things come to mind about him toileting on the bed in the spare room.

Did you train using puppy pee pads by any chance? Dogs who have used them sometimes look for a similar texture, and a duvet is often what they choose.

The other question is whether he was ever scolded for toilet accidents. Dogs sometimes think that they are being scolded for toileting as opposed to toileting indoors so they just do it out of sight so you don't need to get cross with them.

For what you can do, again I have two thoughts. First, keep the door to the spare room closed, and second, until he is over this, set your alarm to take him out overnight.

The paw licking could be environmental but could also be a signal of anxiety (change of routine). I'd wash his paws in plain water after every walk then you will have a better idea what the cause might be. If it isn't environmental you can get collars and plugins here that give off an artificial pheromone which is similar to the one a lactating bitch produces, and has a calming effect. Maybe one of our US users could suggest a brand, I'm in the UK and while I have no doubt you can get them, the names are probably different.

·
Registered
600 Posts
On the paws issue, you can just wash his feet when you get home. We do this with our dog in the shower if he feet get all muddy. My guess would be that he's licking after a trip to the beach because the sand is irritating.

On the peeing thing. What time do you take him for his last walk in the evening?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts