Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has a Labrador x border collie he is 3 years old un-neutered and his temperament has change he has bitten our brother in the past over a year ago and drew blood and he went to the hospital to get it cleaned up.
he has bitten his owner and bruised the skin no blood was drawn about a week ago because she put out her hand to push him away because he was getting exited while she was sat on the grass and two days ago he killed a baby bird out of the blue on a walk and tried searching for it once we removed the birds body..
He dose growl show teeth and fur goes up when he sees adults and children on the street when he is running free because he has ran off and his owners children's friends when they come in the house so he has to be removed unless his owner is there he has nipped the eldest boy before and tries to mount his owner.
he yelps and howls and barks when chained up outside or if his owner leaves him and steps away even in the house. he sleeps upstairs and gets very loud when left alone just looking for some advice really because I'm concerned about his behaviour especially where the kids are. My sister will not give up the dog because she loves him even though personally I think he would be more suited to somebody with older children late teens and more time on there hands because he needs a lot of attention he is a needy dog and loves to be outside.. she has had him since around 6/7 weeks as the mother rejected the pups

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
In the event that a dog has bitten and drawn blood, your first port of call should be a vet visit, including a thyroid check. This is especially true if the aggression is sudden and out of character. After that, you need a qualified, reputable behaviourist who uses updated, positive reinforcement based methods. We may be able to advise methods before the situation escalates to a dog bite but not after or suggest management strategies in the interim - but as a pre-cursor, not an alternative, to a behaviourist's assessment.

We take this policy because of the seriousness of the matter. If the dog bites another person, you could find yourself civily and/or criminally legally responsible. We simply cannot see the events surrounding the bite. We're not there, we are unable to intervene just before a bite happens, and as such, it would be the height of irresponsibility for members to attempt to advise you on ways to deal with such a serious issue on your own. Any posts advising you on ways to manage the situation yourself will be subject to moderation, including deletion.

If you want to tell us roughly which area of the UK you are in, we may be able to suggest someone. And, it is possible your sister’s insurance will cover the cost.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm sorry, from your story it's difficult to make out what has changed. It sounds like this dog has been totally out of control for a long time!

And since it's you here asking for advice and not your sister, well, it just really sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!

If this were my dog, I'd teach him to wear a muzzle and keep him muzzled around other people at all times. That does nothing to "fix" the dog, but would at least keep people safe.

Your sister has an active role in making this dog who he has become. If she doesn't change and take responsible action to remedy the situation, I personally would just stay away. Sorry, but I don't see anything you'd be able to do to help...

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
@Buzzu2 we don't routinely vaccinate for rabies in the UK (where the OP seems to be) as the islands are rabies free.

But it would seem they have not checked in since the initial post anyway so I will close this to save anyone else wasting time on it. @laura9119 if you do check in, just message me or one of the other moderators to re-open it if you wish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts