Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's what's happened with Cobber recently. Two weeks ago today, instead of going to his usual doggy daycare place while I went to work, he was at the vet's being neutered. The next day, he was home in his crate all day, although I went home for lunch, so he was crated 4 hours, out, then 4 more hours till I got home for the day.

The next morning bright and early, we drove 4 hours to my aunt's cabin in the woods for a week of R-n-R. He played more than he probably should have post-surgery, but I kept the play to indoors the first few days and only took him out on very short walks to do this business. The final couple days of that week, he was running around like a madman and playing with my aunt's dog. He seemed totally back to his normal, happy self with the exception of repeatedly pooping indoors (not asking to go out) when he had never had that issue before. I chalked it up to having my aunt and her dog there, and to me visiting more with my aunt and not paying enough attention to Cobber.

We drove home this past Saturday, had a nice, seemingly normal weekend at home, then he went back to doggy daycare Monday morning.

Since then, the daycare folks said he's been especially grumpy one day and pretty needy and clingy the remaining days. He hasn't really seemed any different to me when we get home at night. He may want to snuggle with them, but he's still not very snuggly with me - when he's on the couch, he's usually at the other end from where I am. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I just wondered if having all of that - surgery, travel, new surroundings for a week, etc - might just have him feeling off his game, resulting in him being grumpy one day and needy/clingy for a couple days after that. I'm curious to see what they tell me tonight when I pick him up. I'm hoping he settles back down into happy Cobber, but...

Was that just a lot of stress to dump on a 6-mo-old puppy? I had thought giving him a different setting for his week of recouperation would make it infinitely more interesting for him than being crated at our house. But maybe it was all just a little too much.

His appetite's great, he's sleeping really soundly at night, poop looks normal, incision has completely healed, etc. It's just his personality or demeanor seems not quite as bouncy and carefree as it had been before the neuter and trip.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I would give him a week or so before I read into this behavior too much. The last couple weeks have been full of change, stress, excitement, etc, and dogs often just need some time to come down from that kind of stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts