Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per the AKC's site as of August 30th they are suspending the use of the collapsed tunnel (aka the chute) due to the risks and possibilities for bodily harm.
http://images.akc.org/pdf/events/agility/AKC_Suspends_Use_Of_Collapsed_Tunnel.pdf?_ga=1.90979802.1719944012.1472497479

USDAA also followed suit and banned the tunnel as well.
https://www.usdaa.com/article.cfm?newsID=3333

I'm pretty excited about this. The tunnel was the one other thing (other then weaves) that I struggled with with Forbes, and I was always leery of it. My first trial I watch as my teammate's working lab came barreling out of a chute that I guess wasn't tight enough, got tangled up in it and almost hurt his shoulder. Luckily there was a massage lady on site and he was able to get readjusted and get right back in without missing a class, but it definitely messed with the handlers head.

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@agilityk9trainer, I didn't have a chance to read the whole article but seeing those pictures of your poor shelties coming out of those chutes like that are a great example of why the chute should have been removed a long time ago.

Reactions: agilityk9trainer

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I am so thrilled about this. Even just in training, Levi would hit the chute so fast, and has had it trip him up, flip him, one time the whole chute came with him (I don't think it was secured properly). My nightmare obstacle.

I think Hoops could be a super fun way to replace the chute!

·
Registered
812 Posts
What do you think? Should something replace the chute?
Ummm, that would be no. A recurring nightmare of mine is that I show up to an agility trial and they have a bunch of obstacles I've never seen before. Noooo thank you. Maybe they could make the broad jump mandatory in all Standard levels? That seems fair to me. Also, wow about the chute thing. I guess it's good for a lot of dogs. I sure hope they don't replace it with something silly/unsafe.

·
Registered
574 Posts
LOL!!! They wouldn't put in any new obstacle just "Bam!" out of the blue. :D That would be dangerous. IF a new obstacle were added, it would do so after about a year's notice or more, based on past changes. That said, the hoops would require little to no training. I ran my dogs in Hoopers in NADAC, and they only ran through them once before showing. However no venue would put in a new obstacle without a huge lead time to allow for training. Hahaha!! I'm always having dreams where I go to an agility trial and it's all furniture or obstacles we have never seen or are outrageously unsafe. My favorite was the dream where the tunnel climbed up the wall and along the ceiling to come back down on the other side of the course. It was like a hamster tube thingy.

It's been fun to hear people's opinions on what, if anything should eventually replace the chute. While I think hoops would be fun, I think what will happen is that the long jump will become more commonplace in the upper levels of AKC agility. That will be fun too.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also agree that it would be nice to see more of the broad jump instead of the chute. There has also been suggested that other options would be 1-2 added jumps or a regular pipe tunnel. I think all are good options. I'm extremely happy with the change though!

Reactions: Dogs4Jesus

·
Registered
574 Posts
A pipe tunnel would be horrible for people with limited physical ability. It's USDAA that suggested that - not AKC. (Which makes sense. The USDAA doesn't care whether people with physical limitations can do their courses or not. Their comment when asked if they cared whether a person with physical limitations could run their course that was, "We present all kinds of challenges." In other words, we don't care. It was said to me from the top. Yeah. Not a fan of USDAA.) Sorry. I slipped ont my soapbox there for a second. Nothing personal to anyone here. :) Anywho...

The AKC is saying that for courses designed to be used through mid September, judges are to use a jump or tunnel (it does not state a straight tunnel). All courses used after mid September will undergo redesign. In other words, there will be no obstacle "replacing" the chute per se. The same number of required obstacles are still required. I suspect we will be seeing a lot more broad jumps though. AKC released their course design information through the judges guidelines emailed to judges. You can get that email even if you aren't a judge. It's well worth it. :)

Reactions: jclark343 and Sha

·
Registered
507 Posts
Oh, wow! That's exciting! The only injury I've seen while watching agility was with the chute. They were super careful in making sure it was reset after every dog, but even still one got hurt. So, excellent news!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I'm sure it won't impact too many people on here, buuuut the AAC also has removed the chute! :)

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe Clean Run just updated that all agility venues have now suspended the chute.

I wonder though, AKC stated that the suspension was pending review. I wonder if there is a chance that the chute may be coming back? I can't imagine they would with everyone's excitement that it's gone.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I heard the UKC said they would not be eliminating it, but they always have danced to a different drummer. I did not read this directly from their website though. It was second hand. I hope CPE does. I would compete in it if it were in my area. I also hope the what jclark read by "Clean Run" is correct. It would be great if everyone dumped it. It would make training agility easier if you didn't have to train it for one specific venue.

jckark, I just reread AKC's statement. There was no talk of "review." They did say they were suspending the chute until the concerns can be resolved. What they mean by that is probably a subtle hint that some areas in Europe are trying out different chute designs. They are keeping the door open for a different kind of chute if one is developed and generally adopted by the agility community. However, the chute as we know it is dead. Long live our dogs!

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I just heard today that AAC will suspend the use of the chute as of Sept. 1st. They gave judges a list of what obstacles they can use in place of it. So, our trial in two weeks, we will not have any chutes in our classes. Our trial last weekend we had the chute and nobody had a problem. We do have a self leveling chute but still had to go out and straighten it several times. Not sorry to see it go.

I know my Doberman got twisted up in the tunnel one time, luckily she was not hurt and was not scared by it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hahaha!! I'm always having dreams where I go to an agility trial and it's all furniture or obstacles we have never seen or are outrageously unsafe. My favorite was the dream where the tunnel climbed up the wall and along the ceiling to come back down on the other side of the course. It was like a hamster tube thingy.
I dreamt that they had a course full of kitchen tables. The dog was supposed to do something different on each one, and they were like 5 feet tall. :p

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dreamt that they had a course full of kitchen tables. The dog was supposed to do something different on each one, and they were like 5 feet tall. :p
I feel like Forbes would NAIL that course! Lol

Reactions: MdDVM

·
Registered
574 Posts
You guys are funny. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts