Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you change the way a dog is housetrained???

I'm asking about Riley. My 1.5 yo PomChi rescue. I think she was taught to go outdoors but for various reasons, we need her to be pad trained. How do I go about this? I'm sick and tired of cleaning up pee/poop. My hands are broken out from all the chemicals and I'm at my wits end.

We've tried putting her on the pads and saying "go potty." We've tried putting the pads where she normally goes. We went a bought a potty patch because we thought maybe if she could "feel grass". We've tried leash walking her on the pads.

NOTHING works. In 1.5 weeks we've only got her to go on the pad ONCE. Please help!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
May I ask why she needs to go on pads and not outside?
We live in attached homes (own a condo). We are only allowed to have animals if they do NOT use the common areas. Which is anywhere outside.

I got my first two (in the avatar) as puppies so they both use the potty pads. If we are out at someone else's house with a doggie door, they will go outside. They're brilliant.

My third is a Westie. She's only 12 weeks today and is doing very well using the potty pads.

We've only had Riley 1.5 weeks but we just can't get her to use the pads. She's used to going potty outside but this is something that I have to be able to work out obviously she can't just pee/poop on our floor forever.

I'd sell my home and move but we're in Florida with all the foreclosures so that is not an option.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Was this a rule before you bought your house? No offense but thats silly and I honestly do not think its gonna be easy to train a dog who is used to going outside to never go while outside..... do you have a patio?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was this a rule before you bought your house? No offense but thats silly and I honestly do not think its gonna be easy to train a dog who is used to going outside to never go while outside..... do you have a patio?
It was a rule before we bought. We were young, just married and didn't have dogs. We didn't think it would be an issue. There's nothing we can do about it now.

No- we don't have a patio. The only thing we have is a finished porch but it has the same floor as the rest of our home (tile).

I HAVE to be able to train her to use pads. I'm currently taking her to the park in the AM and PM but she's still going on the floor.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
While I dont completely like the issue, my suggestion would be to soak up pee with one of the pads and place it where she peed, then when she goes to sniff it toss a treat to her. If she poops on the floor pick it up and put it on a pad. Maybe having HER scent from pee and poo will help her see "oh ok, I should go there"

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I dont completely like the issue, my suggestion would be to soak up pee with one of the pads and place it where she peed, then when she goes to sniff it toss a treat to her. If she poops on the floor pick it up and put it on a pad. Maybe having HER scent from pee and poo will help her see "oh ok, I should go there"
We will try this. I am willing to try everything and give it time to get Riley trained to potty in the right spot. I've already e-mailed the rescue she came from to see if they have any input.

I know the housing issue is stupid but there's nothing I can do about it at this time. Unless you want to buy a condo in Florida??? I could push the issue with my HOA but that's only going to get me sued. A potty pad using loving home is better for my girls than no home at all (not that that is an option).

Don't worry- they aren't stuck inside all day. We go to a local park every morning for a walk and we go to the dog park every night for off-leash play. We also visit my Mom several times a week, who has a fenced in backyard.

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
i would cover a large area, near where you would like her to go, with many pads, then do the same thing you would do to teach her to go outside, bring her to the area every 30min or so, tell her go potty, and wait... if she goes, say "yes" the second she finishes, and give her a treat, once she starts to get the idea, you can start to slowly remove pads until you are using them less... it may also help to keep her in and x-pen, with pads on the floor, whenever you cannot supervise her...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts