Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My wife and I just got a 7 month old black lab. I know he is a puppy and especially labs like to chew on things. We have a fenced in back yard with a 13x9 kennel in our back yard where we keep him at night or while we are away, or should I say try. (Cooper) likes to bite his way out of the fence...he really doesnt chew through it, he just pulls at it till it comes apart at the bottom. I have reinforced the chain-link-fence several times with metal wire weaving through the links, but he still always manages to escape. Any suggestion on how to break him from this or just ideas on how to keep him from being able to get all the way through.

thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Coopercharlee and welcome to the Dog Forum! Well, you might try buffering the bottim of the kennel with heavy cinder blocks. I don't know how your kennel is set up, so you might have to bury the blocks part way in the ground so he can't get a hold of the wire. Also you could try spraying the kennel chain with Bitter Apple or Habenero Hot Sauce. The taste deterent will come off in the rain or snow, but it may only take one or two "bites" for him to not want to touch it.
I also would give him some nice toys like a Jolly Ball. These are made for horses, but they also hage dog sized ones. Being he's a lab, I'd stick with a little bit bigger size. The toys might not help, but he sounds like a typical bored lab pup.
Im not sure if this will help you out or not, but I wish you luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the forum!

Your pup needs obedience classes and a job! He is also having anxiety problems. If you don't interact with him more, he will only get worse.

My suggestion would be to crate him in the house at night. Do lots of training, playing and walking.

Dogs don't like to be alone. They are pack animals.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts