Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Aspen's CGC test coming up, I'm trying to come up with a game plan for that day. (I'm an OCD planner :rolleyes: )

I'm on some FB training groups and some suggest taking her somewhere off leash and letting her run and play and release some energy before her test. I thought it made good sense. Those who have taken the test, what have you done prior? What worked? What do you wish you did differently?

PS- Sorry for all the posts today- lots to say, I guess haha

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I would let her get some energy off, but not too much. You want her to still be active and not seem too groggy.

Now I've never done the CGC (never had a need to, although I am pretty sure Roxie could pass with a little sprucing up) but I would think to bring her a little hungry. With agility, I've also been known to rub treats or cheese in my hand before entering the ring. For us it just reminds her that good stuff is coming if she makes it through the end.

Practice! A lot. Do the full run through. With and without treats, but at least a few times without treats.

And do whatever helps you calm your nerves. Remember dogs feed off our emotions. So you have to calm your own nerves. Do some yoga, maybe go ride the morning of. Meditation. Whatever helps you stay calm.

I think you guys are going to do wonderful!

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would actually advise letting her romp around. She might be way to hyped up after playing. My girl gets the zommies after play time.
Before I enter the obedience ring with any of my dogs, they stay in the kennel. When I go to fetch them, I keep calm so they keep calm. Not rushing, no messing around.
It depends on the individual dog to of course.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I wouldn't do anything too crazy with her beforehand, but you could possibly take her out for some light/moderate activity a while before if she tends to be rowdy when you go somewhere.

When I want Bus to be on his calmest behavior, I usually try to exercise him at least a few hours before we go wherever, walk him to let him cool off and settle down, then give him either a bone or food puzzle. He's fit enough that it's really hard to tire him out by exercise, but at the same time, he does better if he's had some exercise. On the other hand, exercising him right before taking him somewhere usually isn't a good idea either, as it takes him a while to settle down and come off his "adrenaline high". Usually if we're doing something in the morning, I'll run him hard late the night before, then just get him up and go the next day. If we're doing something in the afternoon or later, he gets ran in the morning, then has time to chill back out before we go. I don't have to bother too much anymore, as he's learned that "out in public" means "good manners", and doesn't need much preparation for our normal activities. When I took Annie for her CGC, we played ball for a while, then had an hour or so car ride, so she was pretty relaxed by the time we got there, but not tired.

If I were taking a young dog who was still excited by social outings, people, and other dogs, I might be inclined to stop at Petsmart or similar pet store on the way, so you can sort of run through some of the things (waiting patiently, LLW, etc) in a similar environment and have it fresh in her mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts