Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, this is my first post on the forums! I'm just writing this to share my experience with the medication Cephalexin. My Alaskan Malamute mix got nipped on her leg by another dog. We took her to the vet and she got three stitches. He also prescribed some antibiotics, painkillers, and the Cephalexin. Starting the next morning, she started urinating in the house several times a day, an unusual behavior for her. Even worse, it was only happening when she was asleep/lying down, and she would pee all over herself. It was evident by her surprised reaction every time she woke up that she did not realize that she was doing it. I even watched her urinate on herself while sleeping outside. She also started drinking markedly larger amounts of water. I called the vet and asked if it could be a possible side effect of any of the medications. He said it couldn't be, and that it was most likely a UTI, kidney stone, or a behavioral issue. I didn't think it was the first two, as there was no blood, reduced urine stream, or pain/difficulty urinating, and the last possibility made no sense to me as it's clearly unusual behavior for a dog to pee on itself. So I researched all the drugs that she was on. Although urinary incontinence is not an official side effect of Cephalexin, I found a few results including this blog post. There wasn't too much on it, just a few individual people theorizing that Cephalexin could be causing their dog's sudden urinary incontinence. We stopped the Cephalexin, and the incontinence stopped immediately. I believe it was the Cephalexin that caused it. It definitely doesn't happen to every dog that takes it, so I'm not trying to convince anyone to automatically discount it, but hopefully if someone else in the future has this same problem, this post will help them identify it. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, I feel like I should post a little follow-up to this. It turns out that her urinary incontinence continued, even after discontinuing the Cephalexin. It seemed to stop for a day, but then continued. A urinalysis revealed a UTI, which we treated with antibiotics, but the incontinence continued. My vet prescribed Proin, which she's been on for two days and so far, no incontinence! The timing of the incontinence seemed so odd, coming so suddenly and with the medications/stitches. However, at this point, I guess it's just a case of a spayed dog developing incontinence. I'm just glad that so far the medicine is working.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts