1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an interesting situation.

Whenever I run on my treadmill, Aspen goes nuts haha

Facts:

-She only does it to me when I'm on the treadmill, not if I'm running outside.
-She doesn't do it to my bf or the kids if they go on the treadmill.
-She doesn't quite bark but makes this weird yipping sound that I've never heard her make.
-She nips at my legs/feet
-Her body language is playful- ears up and forward, tail wagging- so I'm not thinking that she's afraid.
-If I let the treadmill run with no one on it, she'll walk by and not even give it a second look.

I've been putting her in the backyard before I even pull the treadmill out to avoid the situation but I'd like to fix it.

She doesn't have a second of calmness when I'm on it so it's not like I can reward the calm behavior. I've tried keeping some of her toys on the treadmill with me and redirecting with them, nope. I've tried rewarding her calmness when the bf is on it, nope.

She doesn't want me to exercise, I guess.

It's important to note that when I crack open the Ben & Jerry's, she's calm as a cucumber :p

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Have you tried giving her a kong frozen or otherwise/long lasting treat while on the tread mill? Or maybe try tiring her out before you go on the treadmill.

lol that sounds like my dogs when it comes to icecream

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have given her Kongs and antlers but the second I start, she's focused on me. I haven't tried tiring her out first, I could try. She doesn't really tire easily haha

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
What does Aspen do when you run in place next to the treadmill? Try it with the treadmill on and off. Maybe try and run in place on the treadmill with the treadmill off. It is an interesting situation and my best guess is it is could be serious displacement behavior because the dog wants to run with you like when you run outside but just can't connect the fact that you are "running" but going nowhere.

Beats me. I'd be curious to hear if you discover the reason.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@DriveDog - that's a really thought. I'll try that.
@kmes - she does have a "place" but she becomes a different dog when I'm on the treadmill. She loses her mind. The first time, I thought, "eh, it's new and she'll get used to it." But now, I just remove her from the situation. I didn't actually try telling her to go to her place but I will! :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

If I can get my bf to take a video, I'll post it. I tried and almost fell off haha

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@Aspen726 - Sounds like an incredible distraction to proof her place cue!

What about putting her on her mat, and walking towards the treadmill. If she stays, reward her. If she breaks, don't walk as close to it. If she is able to stay, keep upping the ante every time. Can you touch it? Turn it on? Stand on it while it is off? Walk on it suuuuuper slow?

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks @Shandula - I'll try all of that too. :)

I wish I knew WHY she was doing it though haha... that weird "yip" she makes leads me to think that it's not just normal play but her body language tells me that she's not scared. So confusing haha.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Does she do it if you stand on the treadmill? Or what about walk on the treadmill? I would think teaching her the place, and then starting by standing on the treadmill and rewarding for calm behavior and working your way up to running.

I love that she's not fazed by the Ben and Jerrys at all. If only she would nip at your heels when you were walking away from the freezer with the pint, not that would be a trick that could help keep anyone in shape!

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love that she's not fazed by the Ben and Jerrys at all. If only she would nip at your heels when you were walking away from the freezer with the pint, not that would be a trick that could help keep anyone in shape!
For real!

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was wondering if you have found a solution to this yet?

Thanks.
We are working on it :) it's going slowly but I am seeing some forward progress. I've been doing a 10 minute training session before I get on the treadmill. Between each skill, I send her to her "place". I turn the treadmill on and reward "place". I'm up to walking for 5 minutes without her getting up. I think we'll get there... eventually. Haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts