Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently put my 3 year old pitmix on CBD to help with anxiety. I am noticing she seems MORE anxious than before. Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have recently put my 3 year old pitmix on CBD to help with anxiety. I am noticing she seems MORE anxious than before. Has anyone else had this experience?
I had a severe reaction to valium it did the complete opposite of whats its meant to do so it makes me think cbd especialy with thc could do the same thing to dogs? I know there different things but its sounds very plausible

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Did you consult a vet before starting treatment? That should be your first port of call..
They can advise on the best way forward, CBD isnt a magic wand it doesnt work with everyone and it needs to be used carefully and in combination with training methods..

Second like any medication ( CBD oil is medication) it can have differing effects on different people.. Most anti depressants actually have a warning that they can lead to suicidal thoughts ! So an opposite effect is not an unknown outcome.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Did you consult a vet before starting treatment? That should be your first port of call..
They can advise on the best way forward, CBD isnt a magic wand it doesnt work with everyone and it needs to be used carefully and in combination with training methods..

Second like any medication ( CBD oil is medication) it can have differing effects on different people.. Most anti depressants actually have a warning that they can lead to suicidal thoughts ! So an opposite effect is not an unknown outcome.
Thats the thing cbd seems to be treated like a benign medication just like valium. There were no warnings given for me by dr or chemist or packaging and no warnings given for jesses cbd not that it did anything

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I would make sure the CBD you are using dosen't have any THC as that is not suitable for dogs. If it's not working for your dog, there are other (cheaper) herbal supplements for anxiety you can try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats the thing cbd seems to be treated like a benign medication just like valium. There were no warnings given for me by dr or chemist or packaging and no warnings given for jesses cbd not that it did anything
Our vets here are not allowed to "prescribe" or share opinions on CBD. I am working with a trainer with tons of experience with anxious dogs...

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you choose to continue trying CBD, make sure that the strains are not Sativas. Sativas can be very jumpy and increase anxiety.
You want an Indica strain for the calming effect. CBD will not work then same on any 2 dogs, and it is derived from many different species of plants. Always look for full spectrum products for the best results. (like from a human dispensary) There is no suchn thing as "special pet CBD", which is a marketing gimmick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts