Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our vet in Oregon has been helping our 16 y/o Maya with her arthritis, ACL knee repair and dysplasia. Tramadol was OK, barely, as dog HATED the bitter taste and all kinds of treats and disguises eventually failed.

Vet recommended a person nearby who mixes CBD with coconut oil. Seems to be helping after a week or so. Eats better, a bit more active and more interested in what's going on. Maya gets 1/2 tsp in a.m. and same in p.m. via a syringe squirted into mouth.

Not sure about the Mod's views on CBD from hemp oil. Some posts on here went thru as my search revealed. Mod....might not be in favor of this subject. Went to local MiniPet Mart and owner said this product in the form of a treat will be on the shelves soon. I do see EdiBites for sale over the net and something from Monument Pharmacy in CO. Have not yet contacted these companies. :ponder::huddle:

·
Registered
31 Posts
have you thought of trying Alenza? it's a blend of amino acids and other things that i cannot name off the top of my mind, it comes from bayers who are very reputable. i've read about this product in a few books to only hear good things. after doing a little research i've learned that it's very safe for dogs and is abit more on the natural side of things, i think it's mostly available off amazon, i haven't tried it yet but i've been thinking of trying it on my pup with hip dysplasia! hope you find something that works!

·
Registered
332 Posts
CBD is undergoing trials as a treatment for various conditions and ailments, including chronic pain. Unfortunately, there isn't much substantive information available - most of what's out there is in the form of websites that are engaged in selling cannabis-related products.

With regard to coconut oil, it really doesn't add much except a sweet flavor. Coconut oil is just a saturated fat with no real medical benefit.

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
Our vet in Oregon has been helping our 16 y/o Maya with her arthritis, ACL knee repair and dysplasia. Tramadol was OK, barely, as dog HATED the bitter taste and all kinds of treats and disguises eventually failed.

Vet recommended a person nearby who mixes CBD with coconut oil. Seems to be helping after a week or so. Eats better, a bit more active and more interested in what's going on. Maya gets 1/2 tsp in a.m. and same in p.m. via a syringe squirted into mouth.

Not sure about the Mod's views on CBD from hemp oil. Some posts on here went thru as my search revealed. Mod....might not be in favor of this subject. Went to local MiniPet Mart and owner said this product in the form of a treat will be on the shelves soon. I do see EdiBites for sale over the net and something from Monument Pharmacy in CO. Have not yet contacted these companies. :ponder::huddle:
We're fine with the discussion of different techniques :)

If you were recommending a specific treatment for an ailment, that's not permitted. No one can offer medical advice but saying 'XYZ treatment has worked wonders on my dog' is okay!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts