Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i was just woundering i have two dogs one is a cockerpoo (cocker spanial x toy poodle) and the other a staffalier (cavaleir x staffordshire bull terrier). It is recommended that 1 is nutered and the other to be keept entire as they are both boys to reduce the chance of fighting. It is said to nuter the less dominant one now i dont know which is more dominat at the moment as they are only a 10 week only and an 8 week old, but it looks like the saffalier will be more domanant. Now if this the case i was woundering if anyone would like him for a stud as he is so lovely natured im not into it for the money as most people would think juging by the way of this adver. I just simply want to know if anyone would be willing to have him for free at first and maybe getting higher in price later on?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
1- Dominance theory is outdated tripe (and not the stuff that dogs like).

2- Neuter both

3- There are enough very wonderful crosses in shelters as it is who aren't getting homes. Adding to that population is the act of irresponsible, empathy-lacking, money grubbing people (trust me, I'd use a different term her, but there may be children reading). The only reason to breed is to work at improving a breed. And no, I don't care what line the BYB sold you with your dog, designer dogs aren't a breed - they are good old-fashioned All-Canadian (or whereever you are from) mutts intentionally bred by irresponsible breeders looking to make a quick buck who are banking that a cute name is worth the same as a pedigree.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hello i was just woundering i have two dogs one is a cockerpoo (cocker spanial x toy poodle) and the other a staffalier (cavaleir x staffordshire bull terrier). It is recommended that 1 is nutered and the other to be keept entire as they are both boys to reduce the chance of fighting. It is said to nuter the less dominant one now i dont know which is more dominat at the moment as they are only a 10 week only and an 8 week old, but it looks like the saffalier will be more domanant. Now if this the case i was woundering if anyone would like him for a stud as he is so lovely natured im not into it for the money as most people would think juging by the way of this adver. I just simply want to know if anyone would be willing to have him for free at first and maybe getting higher in price later on?:thumbsup:
I've been on these forums long enough (which isn't even that long!) to know to beg you to PLEASE don't stud out your staffy mix. A great temperament in a dog is a wonderful thing, but just enjoy him for yourself. There's so many staffy mixes up for adoption in shelters or rescues, or people just giving away their own.. Every day I look at the Pets section on Craigslist and it amazes me how many of the dogs are staffies or staffy mixes. :( It's frustrating. Plus you don't even know the health of your puppy yet.. He's only 8 or 10 weeks. A responsible breeder gets their dogs test upon test before breeding them, and I'm pretty sure that can't be done until they are at least 2 years of age since they are still developing and such. It's also very pricy. Besides.. At 8 or 10 weeks you won't know the dogs true temperament.

I had a lab mix and she was wonderful.. Best temperament I've ever seen, but there's a ton of mix breed dogs AND puppies already out there. If she had been bred she might of had wonderful puppies, but it would of contributed to an already rapidly growing problem. It may sound wrong, but her puppies would of had nothing special to offer besides love.. which there are a lot of dogs and puppies in shelters waiting eagerly to do already.

Actually brings tears to my eyes that my fiance and I didn't rescue, haha.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
There is no reason to breed either of these dogs. There are too many homeless dogs already.... plenty with lovely temperaments that are being euthanized every day in shelters for lack of enough homes. Making more puppies just makes for more of this endless suffering.

Enjoy your wonderful dogs. They are lucky to have you and a loving home.
Neutering them both will make them both better pets. It is mythology that you should leave one intact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was told by a behaviourist online that if u nuter both dogs they will be at the same level and more induced to fight . Im not trying to produce more dogs im just trying to see if there would be a place in this world for a stafalier as it is a wounderfull dog and most people would love one due to there temprement. After all a pedigree is two dogs such as what mine may eventually be made into kennel club registerd dogs, if u look back to there history thats what they are. So just because there kenel club regester means that they are all hybrids the way i look at it . :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way it was only an idea i was going to put him out for stud which is y i posted on here to get somemore info on it thanks for your help every 1 :D

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I have 4 neutered males and no issues. The behaviorist has an odd idea IMO, and I am with the others are neuter both.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I currently have 2 neutered males and 2 spayed females. No issues here. ;)

Who is this behaviorist you keep referring to? I am just curious as I have never heard/read anything from well known behaviorists and even trainers saying what this one did...:)

And ditto the others!
Please do not stud your dogs. :)
There are tons of lovely Staffy mixes in shelters, many of which are euthanized. No need to intentionally create more!
And read this if you want to learn more about why "Dominance" and "Pack Theory" are out dated and incorrect!
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training/dominance-dogs-4076/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts