Dog Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everbody. This is my first post about this issue i am having with my dog. He has this issue where he snaps his head backwards to the left and right attempting to bite something on his back. I have searched high and low on the internet and have found absolutely nothing like it anywhere. Literally, i have searched everywhere and found nothing. Please if you have seen anything like this before i could desperately use some help. It is starting to completely impact his quality of life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done extensive research on syringomyelia and i have not seen this behavior from any of the doggies that were diagnosed with it. Please see attached youtube videos...

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Vet! No one here can diagnose this and if it's seriously impacting his quality of life, you should be getting the help of a professional ASAP. Researching a condition on the internet doesn't mean much. Dr. Google is no substitution for a veterinarian's opinion and diagnosis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took him to 4 different vets and a neurologist and none have seen this behavior nor have any of them provided any help whatsoever. I am new here, but i definitely do not appreciate comments like those.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am simply asking on this forum to get information/knowledge from a diverse group of people.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I took him to 4 different vets and a neurologist and none have seen this behavior nor have any of them provided any help whatsoever. I am new here, but i definitely do not appreciate comments like those.
Posted via Mobile Device

What diagnostics were done? Did you get a referral to a veterinary behaviorist? Did none of them offer any insight or even guesses about what might be happening?

I'm sorry if my comments offended you. It's appalling how many people ask for veterinary advice on the internet without first consulting a vet. If you had shared the above information originally perhaps we wouldn't have felt the need to urge you to get your dog to a vet instead of relying on the internet for an opinion. Honestly, if none of the 5 veterinarians had any idea what this was, I'd find another one to consult. Do you have access to a veterinary school of medicine? That is often a good place for a thorough work up and many do not require a referral or one of the vets you saw should be willing to provide a referral if needed.

·
Registered
712 Posts
IMHO the videos look like syringomyelia. The only way to 100% diagnose SM is by doing an MRI and there are only a few vets in the country with the ability to do them. With most SM patients you'll see them trying to scratch at their ears or neck, which gets worse as the disease progresses. However the dogs don't read the book and symptoms may not always be typical for the disease. Out of the handful of SM dogs that I've seen at my work most did the typical scratching, one did random unprovoked yelping but no itching, and one did exactly as your dog did with scratching mixed in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts