Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble deciding on what breed to get. I am thinking either a toy poodle or cavalier king charles spaniel. I have very specific needs.

I live in China and am from the states. I will always live in an apartment with many people in and around it. A dog that barks a lot or is not good with strangers and other dogs would not be good. I will be traveling a lot with the dog, so it must be small enough to go in the cabin of an airplane. Some flights may be 10 hours plus. A dog that is too hard to potty train or behaves poorly would be bad. I would like to train the dog to use potty pads of the floor on airport restrooms. Is this realistic? I would be able to spend a lot of time with the dog but would be gone for about 3 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the afternoon.
The poodle seems like a good choice because of intelligence and ease of training. The cavalier seems a good choice because it is said to be quiet and good with people. Any advice? Anything else to consider? Any other suitable breeds?

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
To be honest, 10 hours flying time is a big ask for any dog.

But I'd be very wary about Cavaliers because of the health problems they can have. They are lovely dogs but I wouldn't risk having one.

·
Registered
509 Posts
My first thought is that the Cavalier might be slightly too big to travel with? The space under the seat in front of you is very small and you need to have the dog in a cage big enough for the dog to stand up, move around, lie down and all in all fit comfortably. And as Joanne already mentioned, they have quite significant health problems you need to be aware of and need to research a lot to find a good breeder and healthier lines.

As for the pee pad you should be able to train the dog to go on them during a long flight. But this will demand training of course. A 10 hour flight is a lot for a dog. How often do you think you’d have to put the dog through that? Have you researched how other handle, train and prepare their dogs for long flights?

However, the choice of breed can’t just be based on your traveling habits. Even though it’s significant to take in consideration. But what would a normal day look like for the dog? What life and activities are you able to offer? What about grooming requirements? Etc.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I’d say a toy poodle. Smaller in size. I don’t have experience with King Charles spaniels. I do have a lot with toy poodles. Toys poodles are very easily trained, however, barking and their Behavior will be crucial on the socialization you provide your pet with. Meaning you’d need to take the puppy with you pretty much everywhere. My toy poodle traveled everywhere with me and did great. She was super small so she had room in even the small crates. Most of our flights she was allowed to sit on my lap after take off. But she was very tiny. However, any small sized dog you need to make sure you know of hypoglycemia. Research it, know the warning signs and never wait to go to vet if you see the signs. I literally took her everywhere as a puppy. Stores,bars,lots of driving. There are some dogs that just can’t handle flight and you need to be prepared if the dog can’t handle it, then you need to have arrangements where she can stay while you’re gone. I can tell you it won’t be just a pay for the pet expense. You’ll have grooming expenses, pee pad expenses, lots of vet expenses. You’ll also possibly have attachment, meaning if you’re traveling for work, can she go into work with you or will she be alone. If she’s alone how long? I would really sit down and think about if it’s truly the right time for a pet. Toy poodles are expensive and their expenses are very expensive. It can be done but only if you’re willing to put in hours upon hours of training each day. If that’s not an option I’d wait for a better time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Cavapoo which is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel/Mini Poodle cross. He is a barker! And very energetic! From what I’ve heard, that’s the poodle in him. My neighbor has 3 Cavaliers and they are very mellow. My boy has a poodle coat which I have groomed about every 6 weeks. He weighs 23 lbs.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have alot of toy poodles around me and half of them are quite polite and well mannered with other dogs and the other half bark and carry on when they see a dog

1 - 7 of 7 Posts