Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today Roscoe gave us a pretty good scare. A little bit of background: Roscoe is 6.5 mos old and still a growing boy. We live in NW Florida, and it was 75 degrees today. It all started with a walk...

Roscoe always loves his walks and gets excited when I grab his harness. Today, however, he was sleepy and I had to encourage him to step into his harness. I really didn't think anything of it, I just thought he was sleepy. We took Roscoe and Otis (my son's doberman) for our usual walk which is approximately 3 miles. We walk at a fairly leisurely pace and Roscoe generally has no problem whatsoever with this walk. Today, he was not as energetic as usual, but we just figured that was because he was still a little sleepy and it was warm outside (he's definitely my dog in that he hates the heat and prefers it cool). Half way through the walk we got drinks for dogs and gently sprayed them down with water, after which Roscoe noticeably perked up.

When we got home Roscoe went crazy, spastically tearing around the house and barking. At first we thought it was funny and that he was just playing (he does this from time to time), but he didn't stop and something about the way he was running and barking was "off." We then put him in his playpen to settle down. However, he kept acting a little strange and when he stood up his balance was a bit off and he kept seeming to collapse. We were instantly worried about heat exhaustion/heat stroke and immediately wet him down with cool water. After looking up heat exhaustion/heat stroke, he wasn't really exhibiting any of the symptoms we kept reading about, but something was definitely off, so we called the emergency vet. They told us what to watch out for and what to bring him in for immediately. We kept a very close eye on him and he was finally able to rest. After 6 hours (much of it spent napping) he noticeably perked up, finally got a little bit of an appetite and thirst, ate a little food, drank a little water, and now he's completely back to his normal self.

He really scared us and I feel horrible that I pushed him to walk when he obviously wasn't feeling up to it. In retrospect, I should have let him stay home and rest, and I will not push him like that again if he's not his normal excited self to walk. We are so happy he's okay and this was a scary reminder to listen to your babies. He was telling me he wasn't up to the walk before we left, I just didn't hear what he was saying. :(

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
sounds like a bit of heat stroke Jessie had it last year and she collasped with it but then before the collaspe her whole body was vibrating non stop nad she was panting non stop, drooling etc

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Because dogs are non-verbal, that can be a real dis-advantage for us, but they are often trying to tell us something. Samantha our poodle/bischon mix is an on and off enthusiastic walker. I have learned, that if she is not at all enthusiastic about walking, I don't push her. Generally the next day she will really want to walk, so it all averages out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts