Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Son & hubby went fishing and caught some lake trout. Since half the household doesn't eat trout, I usually give most of our fish to my parents.

Since I'm paying to go fishing and would like to benefit from out outings, I would like to know if I can give some to my dogs?

If yes, how should I prepare it and how should it be given?

Can I dehydrate it? does it need to be filleted or just cleaned.

Should they eat it raw or cooked?

I searched and didn't find anything but I might be using the wrong search words.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I wouldn't dehydrate it, instead wild caught fish should always be fully cooked at high temps to kill all the bacteria and organisms. Never feed it raw.

Not sure if Quebec is affected by Salmon poisoning as BC is, but here's an article on it:
Salmon Poisoning Disease

Basically it's a disease a dog can get from eating any kind of Salmoniod fish and other anadromous fish , such as Salmon and Trout that affected with a micro-organism. Once again, I'm not sure if Easter Canada is affected but since Tessa got at a piece of raw salmon I got spooked - she was fine, it wasn't contaminate, but I freaked none the less.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
If you were to be uptight about feeding it raw because of this particular Pacific NW salmon potential disease, you can still feed it raw if it is properly frozen previously before consumption after thawing. Here's a link to get you started Salmon Poisoning Disease - Sandy Animal Clinic

Freezing properly kills the Rickettsia as does cooking, so no need to cook if you don't want to and I wouldn't.

My memory suggests that Lake trout grow old and slowly and dependent on the waters and prey they eat, I would trim off the belly fat/meat which is where the majority of the PCBs, dioxins and other non-desirable elements are stored in most fish. Chunked up pieces of thawed lake trout would be a nice bit of variety in a dog's diet.

Investigate obviously, since it is your dog but at least read past the "headline".

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you were to be uptight about feeding it raw because of this particular Pacific NW salmon potential disease, you can still feed it raw if it is properly frozen previously before consumption after thawing. Here's a link to get you started Salmon Poisoning Disease - Sandy Animal Clinic

Freezing properly kills the Rickettsia as does cooking, so no need to cook if you don't want to and I wouldn't.

My memory suggests that Lake trout grow old and slowly and dependent on the waters and prey they eat, I would trim off the belly fat/meat which is where the majority of the PCBs, dioxins and other non-desirable elements are stored in most fish. Chunked up pieces of thawed lake trout would be a nice bit of variety in a dog's diet.

Investigate obviously, since it is your dog but at least read past the "headline".
These are trout from a place that "seeds" the fish, these are small trout. I've frozen the fish so far, would I leave the bones in there or remove them? These are tiny and probably too small to filet. If I feed raw, how do I remove the bones then?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Farm raised, they should be fine. Wild caught I wouldn't trust, even after freezing.

No need to debone. The bones in fish are very easy to chew and digest, even if not chewed. There is nutrition in the bones as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is cooked bones that splinter and cause problems for dogs. If you want you can run them through a grinder but even my cat who is missing a set of top molars will tear through fish and regularly eats raw tilapia served whole.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts