Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thor my male cattle dog 7 month old
go out play with him playing fetch after little bit he stops come running back bites my arm.
Walking through back yard bites my calf jumps up grabs shirt coat or whatever
when walking on leash okay but then starts biting and jumping on me stop make him sit down beg with treats hes ok till we start walking again
tried bunch of stuff no help
any ideas

·
Registered
298 Posts
Chester did this when he was a quite young. (3 to 5 months of age) he did this when he was tired or when he was unhappy to be on a leash for the first couple times. I call these puppy tantrums.

When he does it just ignore and give absolutely no reaction. Become like a tree. If your in the house or if you can remove yourself from him for a little bit by leaving the room. Eventually Chester stopped this behaviour because he learned that it did nothing for him.

Make being on a leash a positive experience. Treating him and speaking in a light tone will help lots with that. If he starts up on the leash again just freeze and not move giving no reaction to him.

I know how frustrating this can be, but most likely he will grow out of it if delt with correctly. If you give him the response he wants, that is like rewarding the behaviour and encourages him to preform the behaviour again.
Good luck :)
Ps. This behaviour is quite common with the herding breeds, so this is normal.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
It's a cattle dog. That's what they do. ;) They don't call them heelers for nothing.

It's going to take a lot of consistency and a loooooot of patience.

Try to teach him to hold a toy while you're rough housing. That will help with the play biting.

Also look at impulse control exercises. Control Unleashed type stuff.

But trust me this will be a long term kind of thing with a heeler. It's typically more than normal dog mouthiness. Even compared to other herders you have to remember heelers are bred to bite and bite hard.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thor my male cattle dog 7 month old
go out play with him playing fetch after little bit he stops come running back bites my arm.
Walking through back yard bites my calf jumps up grabs shirt coat or whatever
when walking on leash okay but then starts biting and jumping on me stop make him sit down beg with treats hes ok till we start walking again
tried bunch of stuff no help
any ideas
My lab does the same, especially on walks! And those teeth hurt lol so being a tree and freezing doesn't work for me because she tears my clothes and hurts me when she nips the material. I thought she grew out of it two weeks ago, as she had three good weeks of not doing this and just started again. I'm in the same boat, but I will say when she was doing this during years play time, I'd say TIME OUT and put her in the crate for a few minutes. It worked most of the time, but if it didn't she had a 30 minute crate cool down and napped. That also worked. Too bad I couldn't drag her crate with me during walks :headbash:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts