Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
back in early December I had the joy of adopting my little aussiedor pup, Joey. he has been a delight (for the most part ;)) I am having issues with my lil buds teething as well as his actions towards my 10 yr old cat.

he seems to love ppls hands, ankles and calves when it comes to biting. he also clamps on to pant legs and growls as if he is playing tug of war. my hands are completely torn to shreds after many attempts at avoiding the bites (i.e. verbal scolding, holding his snout closed for a second while saying no after painful bite, verbal scolding and putting toy in mouth, etc.) but nothing seems to stop him for this behavior. I know teething is a part of being a puppy, but im hoping I can get some tips so I can get my hands back to normal!

as for my cat - he chases her any time he sees her come into the room. he bites at her as if she is a puppy and ignores her hissing and meows. I am afraid that this behavior will escalate as he gets older and bigger. any tips? or is this normal as well? he isn't an aggressive pup by any means but he does have a very high energy level, says my vet.

sorry for the long post! any tips would be helpful :):eek:

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Welcome and congrats! You are going to have your hands full with a mix of 2 very intelligent (and pretty different) breeds!

As far at teething the best reference I can link you to is out Biting, Mouthing, and Nipping sticky. There we have compiled a bunch of resources and videos that will help you teach your puppy bite inhibition as well as impulse control. Also making sure there are a ton of toys around so that when you do divert him from your skin you have something to direct him to (bone, toy, etc).
http://www.dogforum.com/puppy-help/biting-mouthing-nipping-303634/

As far as chasing the cat, it sounds like he needs to learn some impulse control. Teaching commands like 'Leave it' are great for getting him to understand that he doesn't need to fixate on something.

I HIGHLY recommend searching out a puppy class for him and starting him early. He's going to be a smart one and they are far easier to train before they get older and hit their adolescent years.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I agree with the above post.

Also, regarding the cat... I would do some research on "Look At That" training. I used this with a foster dog that I had and it worked really well. I'm on my way out right now but if no one else gives you links, I'll get some for you.

I have a lab x border collie. She chases and plays with my cat all of the time. If I think she's being too rough, I'll call her off of the cat. 90% of the time, the cat runs back over to her and reinitiates the play. Just make sure your cat has a place s/he can go if it wants to get away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your feedback! Joey starts puppy school tonight so im hoping we can get a handle on the biting and going after the cat.
I will definitely look up the clicker training more as well. my cat is does stand her ground when he is around and has 2 areas she likes to go to and be close to me and away from the dog. I will post updates! thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts