Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheddar and Devon are driving me up the wall! They are constantly looking for food, to the point where I have to gate the kitchen off-limits all the time. I have a small home and due to an unfortunate event, I don't need to gate all the rooms off anymore (that often) and would really like for my dogs to have full run of the house again. Seems like every time the cats have access to the kitchen, they get into something. I tired of having to have my guard up at all times as well. I have lived so many years with having to have my guard up, that I would like to be able to relax a little more often now that I can in general.

They're always hungry...always looking for food. While i'm preparing their food, they're nuts and act as if they haven't eaten in a week. When they're eating, it's like they're eating their last meal. I can't increase meals, as they are already a little pudgy. Someone suggested adding pumpkin to help fill them up without adding too many calories. It's obviously not working.

Is there anything I can do, or is this how it will be forever?

·
Registered
615 Posts
How does the saying go, cats don't have owners they have staff, my cat does this too hes just greedy, and half the time he will have food in his bowl, doesn't stop him begging though

·
Registered
805 Posts
My cats are also like this. I add water to their wet food and make it a slurry. They eat about half as much this way. Increasing their water intake really helped them lose weight too. Now they get a slurry which is mostly water in the morning, and a small amount of kibble to snack on through the rest of the day. And we have hardly any begging and they don't steal food anymore.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My cats always had freely available food, since they didn't have a problem with over-eating, so sadly I have no advice for the begging, sorry. :(

However, as they got older and I tried some freeze-dried raw food with them, they loved it with way more water than the packaging called for. Their food was pretty much soup and they loved it that way. So I think @ChelseaMorning's suggestion of adding water would be a great way to bulk up their food and help them have full tummies.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It might be a personality thing, we have 3 cats, my boy will sit patiently and wait for me to put food in his bowl, the 2 girls will shove their head in their bowls and are generally just really impatient.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts