Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
just let the cat come out when he/she is ready to and it should be fine, puppy may growl or bark or jump around on the cat. As long as you monitor the first few times they meet and let the puppy be a puppy it will be fine. if the cat gets annoyed with the pup its ok, its normal lol. gl

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's a funny story: My dad has a 9 year old cat who is 'dog-savvy'. The cat has absolutely no fear of dogs, large or small and loves to play with his big sister and brother: A rat terrier and Boxer. One time, when my min-pin mix was about 8 months old we brought her over to visit my dad. Well, my dog is running around in the back yard having a good ole time with my step-mom's rat terrier when she spies the cat.

I don't know if it's the min-pin in her or whatever else she is mixed with, but she decided instantly that the cat - must - be - destroyed. Now I need to point out that I wasn't particularly worried for the cat; it weighed more than my min-pin mix, but I had some concerns about the dog.

Anywho- my dog lets out a battle cry and begins barking non-stop. She is making a v-line for the cat. Well, I expected the cat to run, but he didn't! He laid down. Seriously, my dog is running full speed (which is very fast, by the way) at the cat and the cat looks like he's about to take a nap.

It happened very fast, one minute my min-pin is bulldozing into the side of the cat, and the next, I hear what sounds like a single banshee's scream, blink, and watch in wonder as my little, innocent baby takes off running straight toward me, her tail between her legs and her ears back with a single red line of blood across the very tip of her nose.

The cat never even had to stand up.

To this day, my min-pin has a profound respect for cats. She'll kill rabbits, squirrels, June bugs, lizards, and various other unsuspecting victims, but she will not go after a cat. In fact, when she sees a cat, she usually strikes a submissive posture (tail down, ears back) as she walks past them..

Moral of the story: Cats are crafty creatures and in my experience, they do well at training dogs without much assistance from us

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yea, I had to lol as well. It's so perfect. Yesterday my lil 8wk old chihuahua x got to go "visit" by bf's cats. :/
2 of them are still kittenish and they played well with him. It was sooo cute. He was nervous at first when doing the first initial sniff but when he realized the cats would literally leap away when he charged, he found it VERY amusing.
The last cat tho is just a mean cat who has had 2-3 liters and is VERY pregnant with another. She was not so welcoming. Luckily her bark is worse than her bite. :) She hissed but just waddled into another room lol
Moral of my ramblings, with some supervision the cats will usually let the dogs know the limits.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I laughed too. It reminds me of my cat and dog. They love to play but when the cat has had enough, my dog knows. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am fortunate, I have 13 cats. I bred Manx cats for many years and if you read up on them you will see that not only are they a true dog cat, the Tom is usually not tolerant of the actions of dogs. In my case I have a 12lbs babysitter to my 13 Miniature Pinschers, 3 Papillons, 2 Italian Greyhounds and 1 German Pinscher. Nearly every one of the dogs has had a run in with this former tom and none have come out of it with the idea that the cats are a play toy or something to chase ever again. The joke around the house is if it came to a dog or the tom, my monies on the cat. Tig can literally walk around the house and it is funny the wide berth the dogs give him. Even when the German Pinscher who is 38lbs is approached, he backs completely away from the cat. Otherwise when I bring a new dog in, I first bath it to eliminate the existing scent and replace with one the animals in general are accustomed to. Then put the existing dogs outside and bring the new dog into the house where he/she is immediately checked out by the cats. This in itself usually is enough to deter the dog from seeing the cats as an object of chase since they clearly realize they are outnumbered. My cats are generally more intrigued with a new dog in the house then the dogs are. Once the cat introduction is completed I let the existing dogs back in the house and in most cases, they are not even aware there is a new one. Running right past as if it had been there all along.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My chihuahua treats our big male cat like her own personal cabana boy lol. If he is laying on the sofa cleaning himself she will sit beside him and push her head in front of his face until he begins to clean her.And if he stops,she bites him! Cats are pretty tolerant as long as the dog isnt aggressive (there are exceptions...) but I wouldnt worry,just bring um in and let um meet!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in an urban setting in an apartment without a yard. We just adopted a 55-pound mixed breed from the SPCA and we also have two cats.

I plan to introduce them very slowly. While some cats automatically accept dogs (my best friend's cat immediately fell in love with her dog), others will not. I plan to follow the "rules" (all kinds of advice is easily obtained through Google) and introduce them very slowly.

First we'll keep them in separate rooms so they can sniff one another through the door for a couple days. Then when our dog is in his crate, I'll let the cats out to roam, so they understand the territory is still theirs.

Some dogs have a very strong prey drive, and because ours is a rescue dog, we cannot know for sure. I want to make sure he understands the cats are part of the family unit, and this can take some time.

I would not advise just putting them all in the same room and hoping it works out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts