Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, when i first got clover i was very concerned with his behavior towards my cats (i actually only have one, but there are 3 in the house). as much as i wanted to rescue, i didn't want to brings some monster into the house that would make their lives miserable. he has been soooo great with them. he is even winning over my cat fawkes (who tried to kill him twice the night i brought him home btw) any how, clover and the youngest cat have a pretty good relationship most of the time (or atleast that is how it appears to me, cats are harder for me to read than dogs...) they play a lot, she will solicite attention from him and tolerate a little bit of rough licking. she also does some things that i am not sure about, but since it doesn't seem aggressive i haven't worried. she will eat his food, and not always share and she will sleep on any of his beds (including the one in his crate) and not always share. sometimes they share, i've seen them both eat out of the same food bowl and lay on the same bed.

i've noticed though, and only just a handful of times that clover will growl at her when he is eating or has a chewie. he doesn't growl at people, he will let just about anyone pick up his food dish when he is eating or take a chewie away (i've encouraged him to play with them with people to, so he gets excited when you take them away, and we play trading games), he has no issues with the other two cats, they can walk past him, closer than samantha, and he doesn't do a thing. and he doesn't growl at her all the time....
so any ideas on the behavior? i sort of think she is doing something that he must find threatening when this happens. i'm not too worried about it, but clover weighs in at somwhere around 80lbs or so and samantha is a really little cat around 6-7lbs...things could go really badly for her!

btw fawkes (my cat) growls at her a lot too if he is eating and she comes near him (he actually then comes and finds me and tells on her, meowing incessantly until i move her out of his bowl so he can eat and i thought siamese were cute cuz they are so talkitive:eyeroll:)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
yay! A kitty question!

I had zero issues with my dogs/cats integrating until Chill turned about 5 months old...my black cat Twitchy walked past him while he was eating and Chili growled/snapped at him...it was a warning snap...no harm intended but I immediately saw the potential issue.

What I've done is pretty much anytime the cat goes near Chili when he has food I click/"yes" and then throw a handful of kibble at him....seriously...everywhere... like gifts from doggy heaven...

also I have done training sessions where Chili is rewarded for looking at the cat/touching the cat etc etc.

Also I've learned that while my dogs don't really give a hoot about praise my cats THRIVE on it. I've taught tricks using only praise, my one cat really enjoys being talked too.

Do you have a cat tree/trees?

Iam assuming your free feeding the cats in the house? Try to create a dog free feeding station...on top of the fridge is a good one...I have a laundry knook I use...Try to have at least one feeding station per cat. As far as beds go I try to have double as many beds as pets,

The idea being, if resources are abundant, there is no need to guard them. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yay! A kitty question!

I had zero issues with my dogs/cats integrating until Chill turned about 5 months old...my black cat Twitchy walked past him while he was eating and Chili growled/snapped at him...it was a warning snap...no harm intended but I immediately saw the potential issue.

What I've done is pretty much anytime the cat goes near Chili when he has food I click/"yes" and then throw a handful of kibble at him....seriously...everywhere... like gifts from doggy heaven...

also I have done training sessions where Chili is rewarded for looking at the cat/touching the cat etc etc.

Also I've learned that while my dogs don't really give a hoot about praise my cats THRIVE on it. I've taught tricks using only praise, my one cat really enjoys being talked too.

Do you have a cat tree/trees?

Iam assuming your free feeding the cats in the house? Try to create a dog free feeding station...on top of the fridge is a good one...I have a laundry knook I use...Try to have at least one feeding station per cat. As far as beds go I try to have double as many beds as pets,

The idea being, if resources are abundant, there is no need to guard them. :)
the weird thing about it is that i do most of this stuff! seriously!
actually i am slowly working on training them all together. right now they are just sitting in a row and taking treats.
we don't free feed the cats(we'd have 3 little blimps if we did), they are each fed seperately in his/her own space, that was originally to keep them from fighting with each other and because they were on different diets for a while. clover doesn't even go near fawkes' food dish when there is food in it and he is hungry and the dish is in my bedroom where we all 3 sleep (clover will go for cat poop sometimes when he is hungry though:eek:)
the cats are present during most training sessions with clover too, they all watch and wait and i occasionally treat them as well (the idea being that i can train them all at the same time one day) again, no issues.
i was really worried about the guarding with clover too, especially cuz he was so skinny and underfed for so long, thats why we played trading games and practiced with the food bowl (he'll even drop food sometimes if i ask him) and treating...a lot which i will continue to do.
but its weird, this week he growled at her once when he had a chewie, and she just sat and stared at him, then he picked it up and moved with it (closer to one of the other cats though i don't think that was on purpose) then later, that same day, they were both eating out of his food dish, side by side....
i have several cat trees, and several of those pop-up cat station toy things, cardboard boxes and scratchers, clover has 3 beds, and 2 rugs he sleeps on, but i don't let him on the furniture (he actually just doesn't get on the furniture, found him on my bed once and he just looked at me like "how did i get up here" and got down, i didn't say anything) the pick on clover's profile is of he and fawkes on clover's bed, clover laid down because i asked him to for the pic, but if there is a cat on his bed, he will just lie down next to it.

my understanding of resource guarding (which is limited, but i intend to change that;)) is that he wouldn't be sharing sometimes and guarding others, even if he wasn't growling, he would have some body language like stiffening or staring, or something, it wouldn't be so random as it seems (i'll watch more to see if there is some sort of trigger that i have been missing). to me it seems like sibling rivalry or like the cat is threatening him or something (i know that sounded funny:eyeroll:) but i don't know, i wish that i could film it, but it happens so rarely:)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
the weird thing about it is that i do most of this stuff! seriously!
actually i am slowly working on training them all together. right now they are just sitting in a row and taking treats.
we don't free feed the cats(we'd have 3 little blimps if we did), they are each fed seperately in his/her own space, that was originally to keep them from fighting with each other and because they were on different diets for a while. clover doesn't even go near fawkes' food dish when there is food in it and he is hungry and the dish is in my bedroom where we all 3 sleep (clover will go for cat poop sometimes when he is hungry though:eek:)
the cats are present during most training sessions with clover too, they all watch and wait and i occasionally treat them as well (the idea being that i can train them all at the same time one day) again, no issues.
i was really worried about the guarding with clover too, especially cuz he was so skinny and underfed for so long, thats why we played trading games and practiced with the food bowl (he'll even drop food sometimes if i ask him) and treating...a lot which i will continue to do.
but its weird, this week he growled at her once when he had a chewie, and she just sat and stared at him, then he picked it up and moved with it (closer to one of the other cats though i don't think that was on purpose) then later, that same day, they were both eating out of his food dish, side by side....
i have several cat trees, and several of those pop-up cat station toy things, cardboard boxes and scratchers, clover has 3 beds, and 2 rugs he sleeps on, but i don't let him on the furniture (he actually just doesn't get on the furniture, found him on my bed once and he just looked at me like "how did i get up here" and got down, i didn't say anything) the pick on clover's profile is of he and fawkes on clover's bed, clover laid down because i asked him to for the pic, but if there is a cat on his bed, he will just lie down next to it.

my understanding of resource guarding (which is limited, but i intend to change that;)) is that he wouldn't be sharing sometimes and guarding others, even if he wasn't growling, he would have some body language like stiffening or staring, or something, it wouldn't be so random as it seems (i'll watch more to see if there is some sort of trigger that i have been missing). to me it seems like sibling rivalry or like the cat is threatening him or something (i know that sounded funny:eyeroll:) but i don't know, i wish that i could film it, but it happens so rarely:)
Yay a cat owner who knows how its done!!

They don't have to blanketly guard everything. Kiwi will not guard food, will not guard toys...but will guard the same toys stuffed with the same food. Chili has always had training with the cats also (glad you've already thought to do that) so I was startled at first when he guarded, but then realized the context was different, and he hadn't generalized that the cats are cool to be around all the time.

Mine all share toys fine, but if Critter is around they will som' times growl at her. She has no interest in the toys either. She refuses to participate in group training so no doubt they see her as the outsider :)

I think you'll find the trigger to be intangible...its likely a time of day, a mood, a stress level, an excitement level, etc etc...just like we have good/bad days I think the mutts do too. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you know...you should clickertrain som' cool cat tricks....

btw I think Clovers reaction is awesome...he gave a warning and then moved away. How it should be. :)
i was working on high 5 w fawkes (he gets the clicker) but i'de been spending so much time w clover that i stopped, he does know to jump up into my arms though and all 3 cats know sit.....now that clover is getting settled, i've had more time to focus on everyone so i started with the sitting and treating.....group training is a bit more difficult, i realized now that i haven't done it much, i've always had other people around training at the same time. i asked my neighbor if i could borrow her puppy to practice (he is a total spaz, and could use it) she said it would be cool.

i'll keep doing what i have been and maybe increase extra tasty treats when he has something and sam is around. that cat is like a little devil though (cute, but a little bit evil sometimes)

thanks again for the info..........

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts