Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, my dog is showing sign of a cataract developing in one of her eyes and I am considering whether to proceed with surgery before relocating overseas or not based on how intensive and critical it is for the continuing care post-operation.

Currently I expect to fly in the last week of February 2021 and may need to have my dog in cargo (trying to have her in-cabin if possible). I've read that the first two weeks following the surgery are the most intensive requiring the dog wear a collar and have eyedrops and oral meds. And sometimes that treatment must be continued longer, or even for the rest of the dog's life.

If the dog isn't in our possession for 24-48 hours and not receiving treatments for that time, how bad would that be? General thoughts on taking an 8-hour flight and then another 3-hour flight after a 6-hour layover a month or so after the surgery? Does anyone have experience with an airport animal center in Frankfurt or Amsterdam or Paris administering medications during dog's transit?

Any suggestions or thoughts much appreciated!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Relying on other people to care for my dog post-op just wouldn't happen. Assuming no complications with the surgery your dog will need to have eye drops several times a day.

I wouldn't trust airline people to transport a brick without breaking it. No way I would leave this to them.

Why don't you delay the surgery and get it done at your destination once the dog is over the stress of the flight?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Agree, the airlines have shown an amazing level of incompetence at virtually every level they operate. There is no way I would entrust any living thing I cared about to them.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Where are you relocating to? European vets are very good. So if your dog can wait then I would say wait until you are over here then go ahead with surgery..There is no way you could ensure that meds be given properly or on time if you leave it to an airline to arrange.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your replies, all. We're moving to the UK.

My main question is really to hear the details of the typical post-cataract surgery medication routine. How many times per day and for how long it typically continues in some real persons' experiences.

I'm concerned that I'll have to get a different dog insurance once there and that my dog's condition will then be deemed pre-existing, and hence not covered. I was counting on my dog's insurance to knock several thousand dollars off the cost of the operation, hence the hope to be able to get it done here.

Thank you again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts